Orgs compete, raise money for Edun LIVE

Darcy Lathrop

Edun LIVE on Campus is teaming up with eight Miami University sororities in an effort to raise awareness about work conditions and sustainable employment in Africa for a fund-raising fashion show Thursday, April 26.

Edun LIVE on Campus; a subsidiary of Edun Apparel Ltd., which employs workers in sub-Saharan Africa to produce T-shirts for custom screen-printing; will be hosting a sorority T-shirt design competition from 7 to 9 p.m. at Stadium Bar and Grille.

The fashion show will feature the sororities Kappa Delta, Delta Delta Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Chi Omega, Alpha Gamma Delta, Gamma Phi Beta, Zeta Tau Alpha and Alpha XI Delta.

Andy Mitchelides, president of Edun LIVE on Campus and coordinator of the event, said the organization chose a fashion show because as a T-shirt company, it is a fitting way to showcase a product. He also explained that the competition corresponds with many philanthropic efforts of sororities on campus.

"We feel that our mission very much correlates with the philanthropic efforts of each chapter, and we are privileged that sororities are interested in participating in such an event," Mitchelides said.

The purpose of the fashion show is to raise awareness about social consumerism by showcasing both Edun LIVE on Campus' product, as well as the creativity of the individual sororities.

Each sorority will design a T-shirt to be modeled by one or two members of the sorority.

A panel of judges, which Mitchelides said is yet to be determined, will then evaluate the T-shirt designs. Judging will be based on visual design and reasoning behind the particular design.

Alpha Xi Delta president Brenna Campbell said her sorority chose to participate in the fashion show because of the purpose of Edun LIVE.

"We decided to participate because Edun LIVE is a great international cause," Campbell said.

Campbell also cited the event as a positive outlet for the members of her sorority to showcase their design talents.

Rebecca Bailey, president of Kappa Delta, echoed Campbell's comments, stating that this event gives sororities a great combination of promoting the Greek system as a whole while helping out the surrounding community.

"It's not about whether you win or lose," Bailey said. "It's about the cause."

Cassandra Rico, president of Delta Delta Delta, said her sorority chose to participate in the event because there was great deal of interest among the sorority's membership.

"It is a fresh and different idea, and is of course for a good cause," she said.

Rico said three members of the sorority are highly involved in Edun LIVE and were able to inform the sorority about the event and get members excited.

The majority of the proceeds from the competition will go back to the sororities in the form of donations to their fall philanthropies, a charity or cause that the sorority chooses to support.

Profits will be invested into the Center for Social Entrepreneurship at Miami to help launch other social ventures, such as bringing socially conscious speakers to campus and building a scholarship fund to send students to Africa.

Any additional profits will be reinvested into Edun LIVE, which provided the funds for the fashion show.

This is the first year for the Edun LIVE on Campus event.

Based upon the success the competition has already achieved of having the eight sororities show interest in the event, the T-shirt company plans to continue and even expand the event next year to other Greek and student organizations on campus.

While the competition is exclusive to the participating sororities, after the fashion show Edun LIVE on Campus will be hosting a campus-wide party, "Blacked Out," in honor of the business' venture to start selling only black T-shirts.

The event will take place at Stadium immediately following the show and will include musical guest Soundscape, drink specials, contests, and prizes.

E. Claire Dickerson, vice president of public relations for the Panhellenic Association, explained that sororities at Miami play an important role in the charities in and around the Oxford community.

"As the Greek system includes approximately one-third of Miami students, our involvement in service and philanthropy opportunities greatly enhances the lives of many constituents both inside and outside of Oxford," Dickerson said.