Org to offer info session about skin cancer

Sarah Olinger

Miami University's Colleges Against Cancer (CAC) organization will be educating students on the dangers of excessive tanning, ultra-violet (UV) rays and skin cancer as Miamians pack their beach towels and suntan lotion in preparation for spring break.

An informational table will be set up 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, March 6 in Shriver, complete with interactive displays that will include pictures, general information and other facts about skin cancer. CAC is a collegiate organization under the umbrella of the American Cancer Society.

According to Communications Chair of CAC, first-year Esther Adams, the display will hopefully be educational for all students.

"(We) will also be providing students with ways that they can protect themselves against UV radiation and be giving out pamphlets that they can take home about the issue," Adams said.

The packets CAC will hand out are compiled with information from the American Cancer Society.

The event will also have color changing UV beads for students, which change color when they are exposed to UV rays from the sun. By handing out beads at the event, CAC hopes students will take the beads with them when they are out in the sun so they can see the radiation they are being exposed to.

Besides creating awareness about skin cancer, CAC also strives to spark general interest in the other forms of cancer and prevention methods.

According to Adams, this is one of the group's main initiatives because many of the students they are reaching out to are currently dealing with someone who has cancer or will be exposed to someone with this disease in the future.

First-year Carrie Susskind, who is planning on attending the event, said she is interested in CAC's display to seek knowledge about UV rays.

"I think that it is important for students to be aware of the effects UV radiation on your skin, especially when spring break is right around the corner," Susskind said. "Skin cancer is extremely common these days, and I feel like I should know more about it."

CAC has been active at Miami for three years now, and is one chapter among 175 at other colleges and universities across the nation. The organization tries to make a difference in the lives of people fighting cancer by advocating awareness, promoting prevention and honoring cancer survivors.