Opinion | US should pursue Nuclear as zero-emission solution

Ty Gilligan, Columnist

At this very moment, 104 nuclear reactors in 31 states are providing 20 percent of the electricity that keeps America running, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Two weeks ago, the Tennessee Valley Board of Directors voted unanimously to approve the completion of the Unit 1 nuclear reactor at the Bellefonte Nuclear Generating Station in Hollywood, Ala. Four nuclear reactors are currently under construction in America; two in Georgia and two in South Carolina.

Nuclear energy is going to be a vital part of America's move towards an emissions-free energy future. It is reliable and highly efficient, zero-carbon emitting and will allow America to decrease the burning of coal and oil as a source of electricity. Furthermore, recent natural disasters have demonstrated the reliability and resilience of nuclear power plants.

I am in favor of renewable energy sources; however, they cannot be the sole solution. Something that renewable energy advocates fail to realize is that it is impossible to rely completely on renewable energy sources using current technology. Unless we are able to find new ways to store the energy gained from solar and wind sources, they are not reliable enough to be used as our main energy source. All "renewable" forms of energy must be backed up by dependable, "on-demand" sources; including coal powered plants, natural gas plants, oil-burning power plants and nuclear plants that can fill the "demand gap" when the renewable source is not producing electricity.

In addition to expensive start-up costs, wind and solar plants don't run at full capacity. According to a recently Department of Energy (DOE) study, wind powered plants operate at full capacity 34 percent of the time, and solar thermal plants only operate at capacity 18 percent of the time. By comparison, nuclear operates at full capacity 90 percent of the time.

The capacity of a resource is very important to take into consideration when looking at its cost. The DOE estimates Nuclear power will cost an average of $113.9 per megawatt hour in 2016, while coal (with carbon capture and sequestration) will cost $136.20 per megawatt hour. Wind power costs $97 per megawatt hour and thermal solar power will cost $311.80 per megawatt hour, according to the DOE. However, it's important to point out that cost is assuming 100 percent capacity, which solar and wind power do not operate at. This makes nuclear energy a comparatively more affordable energy source.

Beyond its economic benefits, many fail to recognize that nuclear power is a "zero-emissions" power source. Of the available dependable "on-demand" energy sources, nuclear is the only one that emits no carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

The biggest criticism of nuclear power is its safety. The recent meltdown at the Fukushima Nuclear Plant following the Japanese earthquake and tsunami has been flaunted by nuclear power opponents, as well as the media, as proof that nuclear power is inherently dangerous. Making conclusions based on Japans experience would be careless and impulsive.

First of all, Japan is a small island nation wholly located in an incredibly seismically active area. America, in comparison, is very large and has many areas where nuclear reactors could safely be built without major risk of natural disasters.

America has very stringent safety and construction regulations for nuclear reactors and many of our plants exceed the requirements of likely natural disasters they would experience. The New York Times reported that 13 nuclear reactors felt the recent earthquake on the east coast; one reactor, the North Anna Power Station, was even located 10 miles from the quake epicenter in Virginia. Not one reactor experienced significant damage.

Furthermore, Bloomberg reported on Sunday that 16 nuclear power plants were directly struck by Hurricane Irene on the East Coast and none of the facilities sustained significant damage. In fact, 11 of the 16 reactors remained at 100 percent capacity during the storm. People must realize that nuclear plants are built to withstand almost anything.

America must continue to pursue the construction and development of nuclear power. If we truly wish to move towards zero-carbon energy production nuclear energy provides an excellent alternative. I encourage the U.S. government to pursue construction of reprocessing centers for nuclear waste, something most other countries have, which would reduce the amount of waste. Furthermore, the Obama administration needs to be more decisive regarding the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste facility, as storage of nuclear waste must be addressed as soon as possible.