Opinion | University should support cheapest software option, free

Editorial Board

Miami University's partnership with Apple, Dell and Microsoft provides students with discounts on software and computer products. The Miami Bookstore stocks these popular itmes, selling them as package prices rivaling competitors such as Best Buy and Wal-Mart. While the university is offering discounts on necessary technological products, they are only carrying mainstream items. Moreover, since the university supplies only Apple, Dell and Microsoft products, IT Services only promises to service the computers and software the university supports. This lack of support raises issues with students who opt to use free, open-source software and operating systems.

The editorial board of The Miami Student understands that the university is trying to give students what they want in terms of products. But the issue is that the university is failing to advertise all possible software options, such as ones that are free to access. This board suggests the university should stop pigeonholing students by only offering the most popular computer product brands. With IT Services only supporting select software and programs, students who do not use Microsoft, Apple or Dell products are left to fend for themselves if technological issues arise. Resources to support LibreOffice, Linux, Google Docs and other free software alternatives need to be available to avoid future dismissals. It is not reasonable for the university to neglect these students. If all students must pay the technological fee, then all students should receive equal treatment when working with IT Services.

Miami has a love affair with brand names but in this case, is it a viable excuse to withhold free options from students? Currently, the university is searching for ways to reduce budget spending, even with these technology deals they are receiving revenue. But the university is here for students and saving money for students should be an obvious top priority.