Opinion | The multiple fallacies presented by liberals in progressive week

Miami College Republican Executive Board, mucrepublicans@gmail.com

Last week, students walking through the Hub may have realized it was the College Democrats' "Progressive Week." Two themes expressed last week included state voting laws and healthcare. We would like to express our interpretation of each issue and address the outright lies that have been propagated by the College Democrats.

Voter ID laws are passed with the intention to secure the citizen's right to have a fair say in the voting of his or her representatives, and prevent fraud and voter intimidation - which has been prevalent throughout the country, including Ohio. The College Democrats passed out literature on Thursday bemoaning the fact early voting in Ohio decreased from 35 to 29 days. This is hardly a burden on the average voter and ensures less fraudulent practices occur.

Another point of contention regarding voting laws is the requirement by some states to request a government issued identification to vote. The purpose of this is to eliminate fraud on Election Day. Those who oppose this regulation simply don't understand the intended purpose. National Review writer and USA Today columnist Jonah Goldberg sees through the fog of hysteria stating, "disenfranchisement is something the government does to you. It's not something you do to yourself.

If you can't figure out how to fill in the ovals or punch the chads - and some minority of voters will always botch it - that doesn't mean your right to vote was rescinded. It means that you didn't take your right to vote seriously enough to pay attention to the instructions."

Our position is not to disenfranchise anybody, aside from fraudulent voters. Americans have the opportunity to vote by abstentia or other means well in advance of the election without any intimidation or fraud; a truly free electoral process.

The second fallacy promoted by "Progressive Week" is the Liberal plans to improve healthcare in the country. It should be noted that Miami College Republicans, just like the Republican Party in general, find it imperative people have access to healthcare resources, but the intervention of the federal government into the health sector has not and will not alleviate the healthcare problems in America. The law's consequences are extensive: If you are a young person, you will see your monthly premiums rise; for example, a 27-year-old man who pays $133 a month in premiums will see his premium hiked to $200 a month, or $188 if you include ACA subsidies, according to a Forbes methodology.

This is a 41 percent increase. Millions of Americans will lose their current recommended health coverage even after they were promised they could keep their insurance.

Businesses in this country have cut hours, frozen hiring or even laid off employees entirely due to the uncertainty surrounding the law. Nine out of 14 economists polled recently by CNN believe that the act will stifle job creation in the U.S. because of the stipulation that businesses with 50 or more employees provide coverage. With these startling statistics, it is clear the health law will not decrease the burdens the current markets impose, but redistribute them to others.