Opinion | Telling students to "Get Out" into Oxford

Karly Geller and "Biker" Bob Feldman

We're two months into the 2012-13 academic year.

The usual routine of going to class, studying, watching video games, partying and catching up on sleep is setting in for most of us. But the trees are turning to beautiful fall colors, skies are clear blue, and temperatures are perfect. Something is calling us to get outdoors and experience it. Project Participate was started by a group of undergraduates from the kinesiology & health department to inform the entire student body and faculty about the many outdoor activities offered nearby.

Oxford is surrounded by fantastic natural areas, old growth forests, creeks, waterfalls and lakes; and there are a number of ways to enjoy the recreation they provide.

Our page, Facebook.com/ProjectParticipate, acts as a clearing house and calendar for the many opportunities and resources in Oxford that provide access to the great outdoors.

In addition, our page lets you know about upcoming events in and around town, such as the recent State-to-State marathon and Hike-A-Thon in the MU Natural Areas. We will also inform you about free sailing lessons at Acton Lake, an indoor triathlon in January, and a few upcoming trips through the Outdoor Pursuit Center.

What you study here at Miami, the skills you acquire, the people you meet and the habits you form will impact the rest of your life. Now is the optimal time to get involved with a fun and challenging outdoor lifestyle that will serve to keep you happier and healthier for decades to come.

In the next few weeks we will look closer at additional events that want you to get out and participate. We will also share the many benefits of an active life, incorporating aerobic exercise, nature and friends.