Opinion | Technology cause turbulence in science education

Robert Stinson, stinsora@muohio.edu

It has been said "Technology makes education convenient for everyone." But does it? There has beenmajor emphasis on complex software and technology in science classrooms. Remember the days when we drew graphs and tables on loose leaf and graph paper? In schools and universities, those days are practically over.

I agree that computer-generated graphs appear better than hand-drawn ones, but that shouldn't imply that the latter appears to be sloppy and poorly done. New, complicated programs on Microsoft Excel are capable of generating advanced figures displaying multiple variables and sophisticated-looking layouts. According to the National Science Teachers Association, the new LabQuest is being introduced into adolescent science education. These devices are used as a substitute for manually recording data, but they failed me many times in college chemistry. They froze up, lost data and made the laboratory work miserable and nerve-wracking instead of enriching learning experiences. If you fail to work the technology, then your grade reflects incompetence.

Even without today's newest complex technology, I have succeeded in doing science lab work efficiently. As a future science teacher, I believe standards can be met and learning can be achieved without such hassle and frustration.