Opinion | Student court applications for 2013-2014 open

Rachel Shapiro, shapirre@miamioh.edu

Dear Miami freshmen, sophomores and juniors,

I am pleased to announce that Student Court applications for the 2013-2014 school year are open.

Student Court is a diverse group of 16 university-appointed students from all majors who engage in outreach opportunities, hear non-suspendable student conduct cases and provide student advocacy for students going through the Miami disciplinary process. While part of Associated Student Government, Student Court closely partners with the Office of Student Ethics and Conflict Resolution (OESCR) and renders university-binding decisions.

Not only is it a unique opportunity that "puts ownership for student integrity and behavior in the hands of students," as stated by Advisor Graham Hunter, Student Court offers the opportunity to hone analytical skills and offer advice to students involved in the disciplinary process or through classroom education and residence hall programs.

Student Court is also a challenging experience. As senior justice Hillary Miller describes, it is difficult "when you have to make the tough decision, it is hard because it is your peers you are dealing with. It's a situation that pushes your integrity."

While challenging, Student Court also offers many benefits of personal growth and development. Tim Keil, a senior justice, describes "Student Court is an opportunity to be an advocate for students in the sense that court members have the opportunity to view cases from an objective standpoint and work together to deliver a fair and just assessment . . ."

The application process is a vigorous three-part process including a written application, group interview and personal interview. However, students from all majors and with diverse career applications are encouraged to apply.

Please contact Chief Justice Pro-Tempore Cory Brown for more information at browncd2@miamioh.edu. The application, which is due March 1, can be found at: http://www.units.muohio.edu/saf/hja/judicialaffairs/index.html

We look forward to seeing your application and answering any questions you may have.