Opinion | Strutting your stuff through student publications

Sally Stearns, Editor in Chief, UP Magazine, stearnsc@miamioh.com

"The most important thing to remember is that you can wear all the greatest clothes and all the greatest shoes, but you've got to have a good spirit on the inside. That's what's really going to make you look like you're ready to rock the world." -Alicia Keys

Alicia Keys speaks the words that I think are behind every staff member of UP Magazine, Miami University's only fashion magazine on campus. Fashion is all about spirit, and every single member of the UP staff has the spirit inside of them to produce fabulous issues released campus wide three times per year.

I followed my passion when I joined UP Magazine as a freshman. UP Magazine was founded by Miami students Lauren Kelley and Kelley Phelan in 2008, and we have evolved and gotten stronger ever since. We pride ourselves on inspiring the student body to both think and dress creatively. As our mission statement says, at UP Magazine, we believe that fashion is an expression of one's self. Fashion offers insight into the world of Miami; how we live, what we like, where we socialize, who we are and how we dress. So we take this concept and run with it. In photos, in layout design and in our words, we transform our ideas into a printed publication.

With this said, I know that UP Magazine may not be the perfect fit for everyone. Therefore, I believe it is extremely important for journalism and other writing majors to join a publication that interests them because it is simply that greatest way to get experience. Future employers will not only be impressed, but involvement in student publications can also allow you another community to be involved with and thrive in where you all share the same passion. With one look around my staff at UP magazine, I can see the drive in all of us. We are connected by the passion for fashion, and that is something I will always remember after I graduate. It's a community of skilled, hard workers that commit themselves to inspiring other students through a fashion magazine, and it is magical.

We do not have a fashion major here on campus, but with one look around, the average person can see that fashion and culture still thrive. I would like to think UP magazine has played a part in this, but I also understand that each and every student here at Miami has their own individual style. While brand names may be common, every person can make the choice to make their outfit their own, and that's why fashion is so inspiring to me. It's about choice-- and it's about expression. Just because we do not have a fashion major does not mean that we do not study it and practice it-fashion lives within all of us.

If fashion also inspires you, please join us Nov. 5 at Uptown Park at 8 p.m. for our annual Fashion's Night Uptown, an outdoor fashion show featuring clothing by local boutiques. I'd also like to invite you to help us celebrate at Sidebar at 9 p.m. following the show for an after party with themed black, gold, and emerald attire to go along with our "Wizard of Oz" inspired theme.

Lastly, be sure to pick up a copy of our fall issue, to be released on Nov. 12. With a simple page turn I can guarantee you won't be in Oxford anymore.

So what are you waiting for, Oxford? Get out there and show off your spirit, one day at a time.