Opinion | Real men defined by respect for others

Jimmy Trotier, Jftrotier@gmail.com

This letter is in response to the essay titled, "Don't be afraid to be real." While I agree with the major point of the essay, namely that honesty is essential for any relationship to flourish, there was one aspect that I believe needs clarification.

The stereotyping of people based upon their number of sexual partners was brought up in this essay. It stated that, "If a male has a high number (of sexual partners), he is simply being a man." Neither the people who set out to distinguish themselves based on their sexual exploits nor those who believe this praiseworthy are, in fact, men.

Being a man has nothing to do with one's number of sexual partners. Being a man is about doing the right thing, because it's the right thing. It's about taking responsibility for your words, your actions and your life. It's about constantly working to better yourself. It's about being able to walk down the street with your head held high because you know exactly what you stand for.

There are still real men out there. We are those that do not glorify others for their "experience," but truly respect women. We are those that hold the door open for you as you enter the Farmer School of Business and say "thank you" when you swipe our i.d.'s at King Café. We are a quiet, under-appreciated population of gentlemen who are often overshadowed by the distasteful attitudes of a few. We will continue to redefine what it means to be a man; please do not confuse us with the rest of the male population. Thank you.