Opinion | Open up to international students

Qiao Song, songq@muohio.edu

How many of you know what happened in the Middle East? How many of you know what the unprecedented number of protesters in Egypt called for? How many of you know the tragedy that took place in Moscow's main airport? How many of you know China's President Hu Jintao visited President Barack Obama? 

What you do know is the gossip that one of your friends has ended a short relationship, you have memos everywhere reminding you of your friends' birthdays, you know there's going to be an exciting party uptown Saturday night and, what's more, you may just have time to focus on that huge pile of homework. 

Miami University President David Hodge proudly announced in his 2010 annual speech that the percentage of graduates who have studied abroad has increased from 36 to 44 percent over the past four years and stressed that a global perspective is critical to our future success. We have to seriously reflect upon the real meaning of what he called global perspective.

There's no doubt that studying abroad is the best way to achieve global sight, however, it's not the only one. What about those students who couldn't afford to study across countries? Although you might not have the money for it, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't pay attention to the international environment. Also, do not forget that there are a large number of international students around you. 

Do not look down upon them anymore. They have taken a risk and stepped forward into a strange country far away from their home for four years or more. Stop laughing at their poor English because you may be treated the same someday in the future. Do not be cold or mean to them because you may never know if you are in a company that is coordinated with their country.

Do not use a critical tone to say that international students are not inclined to get involved in American studies. It's true that international students are the minority here at Miami, but there's not a strict rule that the minority has to follow every step of the majority. When you melt with them gradually, you may have a better understanding of the country's culture and customs. You could also pick up another popular language without paying for the tuition. In a word, you could get global sight without even stepping out of your territory or comfort zone.

We are a big family with sisters and brothers all around the world. We need a harmonious environment to live in, not a campus full of hate. We want a happy and inspiring life, not complaints and sorrows everywhere. All we have to do is just to be open, respectful and tolerant of international cultures. Taking advantage of resources around you, you can easily become a global citizen.