Opinion | Miami must anticipate low online evaluation response rate

Editorial Board

For the 2012-2013 academic year, Miami University anticipates launching a new form of teacher evaluations. Beginning this fall, departments across the university will test the effectiveness of online teacher evaluations before implementing the change campus wide. Miami is concerned with the timeliness of evaluations returned to professors. Professors typically do not receive results from paper-based evaluations until the next semester has already begun.

This is a flaw because teachers lack adequate time to make changes for improving teaching methods or assignments for the next batch of students. The online evaluations will combat the issue of timeliness and are more cost effective.

The editorial board thinks the online evaluations will help ensure teachers administer evaluations properly and each is given in a uniform matter. Furthermore, the online evaluations offer a personal approach to evaluating a course. Professors can create specific questions and receive substantial feedback that relates to their specific course structure.

The editorial board of The Miami Student understands the university's push toward creating a more efficient method that will hasten student feedback. However, we are concerned with how the university will establish mandatory participation. Online evaluations may make retrieving feedback quicker, but participation will decline.

The university will be sending evaluation reminders via email notifications, but this method will not guarantee participation. Instead, it will overflow students' inboxes with unwanted reminders that will immediately be deleted. To ensure optimal participation Miami needs to create incentives that students cannot refuse. For instance, the university could not allow student to view final grades until evaluations are complete. Email reminders that are sent need to be sparse because students will not respond well to weekly reminders.