Opinion | Laptop policies must be made case-by-case

Staff

A significant number of Miami University faculty members are displeased with the presence of laptops in their classrooms. The claim is students are abusing their laptop privileges intended for in class note taking. Many professors complain students are instead spending class time online to pursue non-academic interests. Laptops are noted as distractions away from class lectures or discussions for students who choose to manually take notes on paper. Recently, professors who view laptops as distracting are implementing no-laptop polices in individual classrooms. With new technologies providing no-internet options for classrooms, Miami may be on its way to a changing laptop landscape.

The editorial board of The Miami Student agrees that while laptops can help maintain conducive learning experiences for some students, those who choose to distance themselves from a class discussion by surfing the web need to realize they may be distracting others.

Ultimately, a professor has the right to issue a no-laptop policy but only on a case-by-case basis. In a lecture class, students will most likely abuse use of laptops for only note taking. However, it is the student who is responsible for his or her attendance and final grade. In the more intimate setting of a discussion class, the use of laptops is easily monitored and students should take into account their grade may depend on participation and attention.

In addition, professors are in control of how each class is structured. It is a professor's job to keep students actively engaged and it is the role of the student to be attentive and prepared to learn. If neither party is working together a classroom will fail to provide students and professors with the benefit of time well spent.

Miami professors need to look at classes individually to determine the quality of time a class justly demands. The usage of laptops has the ability to help or hinder the performance of a classroom, yet this should be monitored stringently on a case-by-case basis. Ultimately, students are in control of their academic success and they deserve the right to choose how to develop study skills.