Opinion | Conservation planning workshops to benefit all

Staff

The City of Oxford, Oxford Township, local conservation groups, Talawanda Local Schools and Miami University are working together to develop the south side of Oxford, while incorporating conservation designs. Projects include making the new high school more ecologically-friendly and creating walking paths for its students.

The editorial board of The Miami Student applauds the inclusive, teamwork approach to making Oxford more environmentally sustainable. The collaboration between people of all ages and backgrounds, from Miami students, to Talawanda High School leaders, to a renowned conservation planner. Although tension existed between Oxford Township residents and the City of Oxford, the community leaders set aside their differences for the good of the future of both the communities. No matter what each group's special interests and goals in the planning were, the planners treated each other fairly and with equal importance. They overcame political differences for the benefit of Oxford and the surrounding area.

The incorporation of environmentally-conscious designs is a smart decision and a step forward for the future of the Oxford area. It shows a vast improvement in ecological thinking, especially for the Miami community, which received low environmental rankings in the past.

This board is impressed at the dedication by each group involved. Students in Miami's Wilks Leadership Institute have discussed plans with local landowners, as well as coming up with design plans of their own. Miami should continue to encourage students to be involved in the future of the Oxford community. Getting even more Miami students and community members involved in the planning or construction process of the eco-friendly projects would prove to be beneficial for not only the students, but Oxford as well.