Opinion | Businesses, city must properly warn customers of tornados

Staff

Amidst the tornado warnings and student evacuations to shelter April 19, several area businesses stayed open for business. Both the Oxford Police Department (OPD) and the Miami University Police Department (MUPD) sent out text and email alerts to notify citizens to take shelter and avoid glass and flying objects.

The editorial board of The Miami Student applauds local businesses, like Bagel and Deli, that put customer and employee safety first by encouraging them to take shelter and follow Oxford tornado precautions. However, putting customers at risk by keeping them (literally) in the dark about the tornado warnings is both dangerous and a liability to their business. This board understands businesses like Brick Street Bar and Grill may want to keep panic to a minimum when a natural threat warning is issued, but for the benefit of the safety of all people, businesses must clearly and systematically communicate to their customers. In the future, establishments like Brick Street should at least tell customers leaving or entering their business to take appropriate measures and seek shelter. The liability risk is too great for establishments to not do everything in their power to keep customers safe. Customer safety should be the number one concern in any situation. Bars and restaurants must create and implement a plan for tornado warnings or evacuation in case of an emergency. The benefits of doing so far outweigh any inconvenience.

Because so many tornados occur during peak business hours for establishments uptown, the board recommends MUPD and OPD constantly patrol the High Street area and instruct citizens on how and when to seek shelter. The city of Oxford must also make sure all warning system, like text messaging, emails and sirens are timely.

By having emergency plans and the ability to educate and protect customers, Oxford bars and restaurants can easily keep their business safe from any legal action. Just a few simple steps may save much more hassle and money.