Opinion | Beyond Coal lets students make a difference

Christian Adams and Todd Zimmer, adamscf@muohio.edu

On Thursday, March 3, representatives of Miami University (MU)'s Beyond Coal Campaign sat down with President Hodge to have a conversation about the challenges and opportunities of Miami's energy future. Our representatives were Christian Adams (events coordinator, Miami Class of 2012), Tyler Elliott (media coordinator, Miami Class of  2013), Alexandra Rehn (coalitions coordinator, Miami Class of 2011), Ian Winner (grassroots coordinator, Miami Class of 2012) and Todd Zimmer of the Sierra Student Coalition. MU's Beyond Coal Campaign has already been endorsed by 1,600 students and the Kickoff Meeting Jan. 27 was more the double that of any other of its kind nation-wide with over 300 students in attendance. We were anxious to finally begin a meaningful conversation with President Hodge about our desires for a better Miami University.

Our goal for the meeting was to engage President Hodge about our campaign and convince him that Miami University should adopt a concrete plan on energy policy with strong renewable targets aimed at the eventual shut down of our on-campus coal plant. We think the university should embrace moving beyond coal because it would demonstrate visionary leadership, be consistent with our mission of education and innovation and makes sound financial sense.

Miami has a closing window of opportunity to become a trailblazer for on-campus energy responsibility. Many schools, both our near peers and across the country, are finding renewable energy not only an environmentally sensitive decision but also an economically sound one. Ball State University's recent commitments to extensive geothermal installations are projected to save $2 million a year. By acting now, Miami will ensure that it is one of the drivers of these innovations rather than a reluctant follower. The University's own 2008 Strategic Priorities Task Force Report states Miami must take steps to increase its future competitiveness in light of shrinking student demographics and future uncertainties in energy markets. MU Beyond Coal reasons that a comprehensive and visionary energy policy is one of the best decisions we can make as a university to ensure that competitiveness.   

As our conversation progressed, we were happy to discover just how much our vision for a competitive and inspiring Miami aligns with that of President Hodge. We had real points of agreement and were excited that the university has in many ways beaten us to the punch. President Hodge acknowledged the inevitable retirement of on-campus coal burning facilities and advocates moving towards less carbon intensive energy sources. The university is pursuing improved energy efficiency for all campus buildings as part of our 40-year renovation plan. As part of these efforts, Miami has initiated a variety of pilot projects. The Ecological Research Center is equipped with a modest wind turbine and Upham Hall received geothermal wells during renovations last year (an innovation to be repeated in both Elliot and Stoddard Halls this spring). These are exciting developments and we unreservedly commend the university on these steps towards sustainability and energy responsibility. However, we feel the university has much room for improvement now and in the future. This takes on a note of urgency when we consider the historic crossroads at which we stand.

The administration is currently processing the final revision of the Presidential Task Force on Environmental Sustainability's 2008 Report. The latest revisions were presented to the University Senate just this past Monday and final ratification is expected within the next two weeks. This landmark document is critically important for Miami's energy future and will define our policies for the next half-century or more by shaping the investments we make in the coming decades. However, MU Beyond Coal feels that the administration can take several steps to render this historic moment more meaningful. First, President Hodge and the administration should modify the existing report to include a specific sunset date for the on-campus coal plant with concrete language elaborating our intentions, plans, and time table for its closure. A date will provide the university and students with clarity and direction going forward while providing further impetus to enact our policies. Second, the administration should take ownership of its sustainability plan by making the report's statements firm commitments on behalf of Miami. Such a document should be stronger than a set of recommendations. Finally, ratification of the sustainability plan should be celebrated in a public way. Miami administration should hold a small event to announce the final plan officially. Such an event would lend further credence to the plan, demonstrate our institutional resolve and honor the significance of the profound step the university is making.

The forthcoming sustainability report heralds a new phase for Miami's sustainability and energy policies. As students, we have an exceedingly rare opportunity to ensure that this plan is as robust as possible. We encourage you to write to President Hodge to make clear that any plan should be committed to publicly and include a sunset date for the on-campus steam plant. Without these features, the laudable goals of this document are at risk of remaining symbolic at best.