Opinion | ASG registration bill will help student scheduling

Editorial Editors, The Miami Student

Associated Student Government (ASG) is proposing a new bill that would limit the extent of priority registration. With the peer priority program ASG has suggested, students with priority scheduling would only be allowed to register ahead of their designated class instead of being able to reserve seats early ahead of all classes.

The editorial board of The Miami Student believes the proposed ASG bill could be a positive change in the process of student scheduling.

For most students, scheduling slots that are based on credit accumulation is adequate to get the necessary classes for graduation. Even for those students who enter Miami University with advanced credit, the ability to schedule based on the credit hours they have acquired should be sufficient because they are scheduling earlier anyway. Students with special circumstances, of course, would require special consideration, but the potential for a first-year student with priority registration to take the spot of a graduating senior is a bit unfair.

Although there are some good reasons for the current scheduling procedure, it can be altered to become a bit more balanced for students.

Ultimately, beyond scheduling circumstances out of student control, it is the responsibility of students to review and understand their course requirements and adequately plan ahead.

Take advantage of advising and become familiar with your Degree Audit Reporting System.

In addition, Miami should work to increase initiatives for better advising.

Communication between and among advisers is crucial to reduce uncertainty and confusion among students.

It is important that advisers are knowledgeable about the different course requirements and be willing to spend sufficient amounts of time listening to students and their needs.