OPD to hold annual police academy

Ann Koblenzer

Some only see Oxford's police officers as handing out parking tickets or beer pong table fines, but those who attend Citizen's Police Academy (CPA) gain a different perspective of the OPD.

"Its designed to help everyone understand what police do and have ownership in the community," said Sgt. John Buchholz, OPD's business liaison officer and organizer of CPA.

The CPA is holding its 10th academy from Feb. 16 to April 13.

"Citizen-policing is about helping officers learn the biggest concerns in the community," he said. "To learn what is really bothering citizens-the little things-those are what affect the quality of life."

Buchholz hopes the academy will help people feel comfortable enough with the police to ask questions and get to know the officers.

"We don't want your first experience with the police to be as a victim," Buchholz said.

The academy teaches short courses where both Oxford residents and Miami students can see a little of everything the police do, according to Buchholz.

Matt McKillen, a Miami senior who attended CPA last year, said he did the program to learn how police forces run and operate.

"I have a higher appreciation for the work being done by any local police force in any town," McKillen said.

"It's an opportunity for hands on learning and a place to ask questions,"

he said.

The academy covers a wide range of topics including a police station tour, interaction with police dogs, DNA and fingerprinting, a overview of the special response team and the use of force.

The academy has always done a session on Tasers, and this year will be no different despite OPD officers no longer carrying Tasers.

Officers stopped carrying Tasers following the April Tasing incident that resulted in the death of a Miami graduate, according to Buchholz.

The only difference this year is they will not Tase any participants. In the past, students and residents in the academy have been able to volunteer to get Tased. McKillen said it taught him about the use of police violence in necessary situations.

"After going though the pain of 50,000 volts, I am really sensitive to the unnecessary use of Tasers on victims that were not acting in a manner that deserved to be Tased," McMillen said.

Officers will demonstrate a Taser by shooting the darts, with participants observing the electricity travel in between them.

There will also be a pepper spray demonstration to show other options of non-lethal force used to combat resistance.

McKillen said the biggest surprise for him during the CPA was to learn Oxford had a SWAT team.

"We have a fully functioning SWAT team with riot gear, a SWAT van, and even a couple snipers," McKillen said.

"That might have been one of the more interesting days of the course."

Buchholz said he hopes the academy will show students the human side of the OPD.

"We have families, we have bills, we are just doing our jobs to the best we can," he said. "(Someone attending the academy) is one less person bad-mouthing the police."

McKillen said the experience was great and he suggests it to any students who want to learn more about law enforcement.

"I would recommend the CPA to anyone who is interested in having a hands-on learning experience with the law ... without having to post bail," McKillen said.

Buchholz also hopes all participants of the academy enjoy the experience.

"I want you to have fun," he said. "Be glad you did it."

He also said the police gain a lot from meeting students and residents during the academy.

"We learn how to do our job better and interact with citizens betters, and I make a lot of friends," Buchholz said.

Anyone interested should contact Buchholz at 513-280-0351.