OPD cautions students against winter break-ins

Erin Fischesser

An increase in burglaries of student homes occurred over Thanksgiving Break throughout the Oxford area, raising concerns about home security during the upcoming holiday season.

"We believe these were crimes of opportunity," said Sgt. Jim Squance of the Oxford Police Department (OPD).

Bobbe Burke, Miami University coordinator of off-campus affairs, said efforts are being made to prevent similar outcomes for the upcoming extended break.

"We're attempting to make students think differently on their way out the door," she said.

According to police reports, among the most common items taken from burglarized homes were flat screen televisions. Burke suggested that, if at all possible, students should move these items out of plain sight of windows.

Burke also had many suggestions for students who are leaving their off-campus residences in Oxford over break.

"We highly recommend you engrave valuables with something that identifies you," she said.

Burke suggested purchasing an engraving tool at local hardware stores and splitting the cost between roommates. According to Burke, engraving will allow police to return stolen items to students because they will have a unique way to identify valuables.

Squance also suggested taking valuables home or moving them into a back bedroom so that they are not immediately visible from windows.

Both Squance and Burke suggested that possibly the easiest way for students to prevent becoming victims of crime while away is filing a vacant house card with Oxford Police Department.

According to Squance, whether a home will be empty for one day or an extended period, Oxford police will come and check for suspicious activity and irregularities.

Miami students can fill out vacant house cards on the Oxford police Web site and can then notify police upon their return.

According to Squance, none of the homes burglarized over Thanksgiving Break had a vacant house card on file.

Burke also suggested talking to neighbors who will be in town for the break and asking if they could watch the residence.

"The more people that are looking at your place, the better," she said.

According to Burke and Squance, students can also protect their homes by ensuring that all first-floor doors and windows are locked.

Burke said that ensuring that a residence is completely locked is often more complicated than it may sound, because students need to communicate about who is the last to leave the residence and plan accordingly. She said that many students become confused about who is leaving last and who is responsible for locking up.

Among other suggestions for protecting off-campus homes were placing lights and radios on timers and closing the blinds.

Squance also said that students should cancel newspaper subscriptions and mail so that it does not pile up and make absence obvious.

Burke also said students should properly park and lock cars over break, as a number of vehicle break-ins also occurred.

She said students should not leave cars parked on the street, since the city of Oxford will tow them if they are parked and unmoved for an extended period of time.

"It will not be there when you get back," she said.

Burke also suggested that students park in a visible, well-lit area if they are leaving their vehicle in Oxford while they are gone. She said that students can purchase a pass for five dollars that will allow them to park a vehicle at Ditmer Parking Lot for the duration of the break.

"The safest place for your car is at Ditmer because it's patrolled all the time and well-lit," she said.

Overall, Squance said that students should enjoy their break and not worry about their belongings.

"Fill out a vacant house card and we will worry about it for you," he said.