Ohio schools announce staph infection increase

Georgie Stocks

Over the past few weeks, Ohio has experienced more than just cooler weather and changing leaves-but also a spread of staph infections.

High schools across the state of Ohio have reported multitudes of staph infections, however, they are methicillin-resistant strains of Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA), also known as a staph infection with antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

These infections have not hit the Oxford or Miami University communities, but Tammy Gustin, nurse practitioner at Miami's Student Health Services Center, said MRSA has become more common.

"Over the past couple years MRSA has become more commonplace in the community," Gustin said. "My knowledge is that Oxford and Miami has been no different than any other community. The main message is hand-washing."

According to Joseph Carlin, a Miami professor of microbiology, it was reported that the Troy Christian Schools, in Troy, Ohio were subjected to the bacteria.

The schools were closed and cleaned Oct. 16 because one male student contracted the infection. This type of bacteria has been found in gyms and locker rooms and as a result schools have been forced to close and disinfect entire buildings, Carlin said.

"They have been finding these more among the athletes," he said. "So they're disinfecting those locker rooms. They've even gone so far to disinfect schools to eliminate it."

Carlin explained that MRSA as well as other staph infections can be spread through direct contact with a person or through touching an object contaminated by the bacteria. However, it is usually not as big of a problem unless the person carrying the bacteria has any cuts or scratches.

"Outbreaks like the we are seeing in student athletes are related to the fact that contact sports often result in breaks in the skin, thereby opening the door to staphylococcal infection," Carlin said.

The infection can result in abscesses, also known as boils, or cellulitis, which is a spreading infection in the sub-dermal tissues. These boils can be characterized by redness, localized tissue swelling, localized pain and pockets of puss. On the other hand, cellulitis is less localized and will spread throughout the entire body, according to Carlin.

"These infections result in swollen, inflamed painful tissues, such as an arm or leg," Carlin said. "If the Staphylococcus spreads into the bloodstream, this can result in osteomyelitis, or septic arthritis."

Osteomyelitis refers to a bone infection while septic arthritis more simply is an infection of the joints. As Carlin explained, these types of infections only occur when staph infections become worse and spread further into the bloodstream.

To prevent obtaining the infection as Gustin suggested, individuals should always wash hands with soap and not share ointments or soap with others. In addition, cuts and scratches should be kept clean and bandaged.