Ohio football teams stumble to poor starts

Dave D'Amore

We're just under one month into both the NFL and college football season but already, four Ohio football teams are off to disappointing starts. Our Miami RedHawks are 1-2, the Ohio State Buckeyes are coming off an embarrassing beating in the biggest college football game of the year so far, and both the Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns are 0-2.

The RedHawks have been less than stellar in the first three games. Optimism overflowed going into the home opener versus Vanderbilt University, but that feeling left the stadium around halftime, much like most of the fans. Embarrassing the 'Hawks in a 34-13 win, Vanderbilt dominated both sides of the ball.

The next week, Miami traveled to Michigan and tried to be this year's Appalachian State. Despite hanging around the entire game, Miami's offense could not take advantage of red zone opportunities and lost 16-6.

After a decent showing in the Big House, I hoped for a dominating performance versus Division I-AA opponent Charleston Southern to ignite some momentum. However, the RedHawks needed a fourth quarter comeback to notch the first victory of the season. Miami's lack of defense surprised and disappointed me. If Miami is going to have a successful season, the team needs the defense to stifle the opponents and avoid shootouts. Despite the start, all is not lost. I still believe Miami can win the MAC and/or make a bowl game if the team is successful in an important three-game stretch versus Kent State University, Bowling Green State University and the University at Buffalo.

Just two hours down I-70, the Ohio State Buckeyes focused their eyes on another BCS National Championship game appearance going into the season. After their opening game versus Youngstown State, however, the score was the major story. Yes, OSU won 43-0, but Heisman hopeful running back Chris "Beanie" Wells injured his right foot. This injury kept him out of their showdown versus No. 1 ranked USC. Without Wells, the Buckeyes limped back to Columbus after a 35-3 trouncing.

Like Miami, Ohio State's season is not over. Ohio State's title dreams, however, may be just that. As of now, the Buckeyes face three ranked opponents later in the season, two of them on the road. Unless Terrelle Pryor gets more playing time and makes an immediate impact, I don't see the Buckeyes making much noise in the BCS.

Back in the state's southwest corner, the Cincinnati Bengals lived up to many experts' low expectations during the first two weeks of the NFL season, although not many foresaw the offense being the problem. The scouting report on Cincinnati before the season said the Bengals would win the majority of their games because of a powerful offense, but only when their defense didn't let them down. In their first two losses, however, the Bengals only scored a combined total of 17 points versus the Baltimore Ravens and Tennessee Titans.

Even more surprising to me are the struggles of star quarterback Carson Palmer. He hasn't played to his potential, throwing for under 100 yards in the season opener. I have to believe that if Cincinnati is going to win games this season, Palmer and receivers T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chad Ocho Cinco must lead the way. Things could get worse before they get better as the Bengals travel to the Meadowlands to face the defending Super Bowl Champion New York Giants in week three.

One of the most disappointing teams, if not the most disappointing, in the first two weeks of the season has been my Cleveland Browns. Losing to the Dallas Cowboys and Pittsburgh Steelers, the Browns found different ways to look inept. In week one, it sickened me to see Cleveland completely dominated by quarterback Tony Romo as Dallas cruised to a 28-10 victory. In week two versus Pittsburgh, the defense kept the Steelers' offense to only 10 points, but the offense looked shaky at best. Dropped passes, turnovers and mismanagement of the clock spoiled any chance at stealing a victory.

In addition, many, including myself, have questioned some of head coach Romeo Crennel's decisions. Kicking a field goal down 21 in the fourth quarter versus Dallas, and then again down seven with under four minutes left in the game versus Pittsburgh, have left some fans angrier than Miami students without electricity. As the season rolls on, I want the Browns to establish an offensive identity and see better play from Derek Anderson and Braylon Edwards. While it's not out of the question that the Browns can be 2-2 at their bye week, Cleveland needs to deal with injuries and a difficult schedule to be framed in the playoff picture.

So far this season, Ohio football teams have failed to live up to optimistic expectations. All four teams must start playing better, overcome injuries and win crucial games ahead of them before it's too late.