News Briefs

Staff

Professor to speak on Muslims of Bosnia

John Fine, professor emeritus of history at the University of Michigan, will speak about the Islamic community in the Balkans Monday, April 5.

The presentation, titled "Bosnia's Muslims: From Dominant Religious Community to Leadership of a Secular State," is organized by European area studies with support from the Office of the Provost and the departments of German, Russian and East Asian languages, French and Italian, Spanish and Portuguese, English, history and comparative religion.

Fine received his doctorate from Harvard University and began teaching at Michigan in 1969.

His published works include When Ethnicity Did Not Matter in the Balkans (2006) and Bosnia and Hercegovina: A Tradition Betrayed (1995), which he coauthored with former student Bob Donia.

The lecture will be at 5 p.m. in 1 Alumni Hall and is free and open to the public.

Lecturers present on public relation careers

The Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) will bring two speakers, Tammy Roberts Myers and Charles Bakaly, III, to campus to speak to students at 6:30 p.m. Monday, April 5 in 322 McGuffey Hall.

As vice president of external communications for Limited Brands, Inc, Myers is responsible for establishing and building relationships with local and national media and non-government organizations, providing the company with guidance on important issues and developing and coordinating the company's external communications.

Bakaly is a lawyer, government official and communications counselor. He is also a senior counselor and director at the National Litigation Communications Program in Washington, D.C.

Previously, Bakaly served as staff assistant to President Ronald Reagan as well as an authorized White House spokesman.

For more information visit http://www.orgs.muohio.edu/muprssa/speakers.htm. Contact Lauren Sandelin at sandellm@muohio.edu with questions.

Capstone project earns honors for reporting

A Miami University capstone class project will be given a Mark of Excellence award by the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).

The journalism class will be honored for the work in the category of "Best In-Depth Online Reporting" Category. Their project was entitled the "Learning Curve" which was produced in the fall of 2008 and published in 2009.

Eleven students took part in the project. The award-winning project explored the public school systems in Middletown, Ohio and Liberty/College Corner, Ind.

The impact of the school system on the community was also examined.

The SPJ Mark of Excellence awards recognizes student work in journalism and awards will be presented April 10 in Cleveland.

The honored project can be found at http://jrn421thelearningcurve.com.