News briefs

Staff, The Miami Student

Women's Center to hold celebratory dinner

In a celebration of diversity and the accomplishments of women of color, the annual Women of Color Celebration dinner will take place Wednesday, March 3 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the Shriver Center Multipurpose rooms.

Featuring a panel of student, faculty, staff and testimonial speakers, as well as student performances and international cuisine, the event will bring together both members of the local community and people from the university. The presentation of the Jennie Elder Suel Distinguished Woman of Color Award will also take place.

This event is presented by the Women's Center with support from various other university offices. Tickets are required and are $5 for students, $10 for non-students and can be purchased at the Shriver Center Box Office. Ticket sales end Friday, Feb. 26.

Award winning poet holds reading, forum

Acclaimed poet and fiction writer Lee Upton will be reading her work at 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 25 in Leonard Theater, Peabody Hall. Upton was the winner of the 2008 Miami University Press Novella Contest. She currently teaches at Lafayette College in Easton, Pennsylvania, where she is writer-in-residence.

Upton won the Miami Press Novella Contest for her novel, The Guide to the Flying Island, which she will be reading from as well as discussing during her visit at Miami. Following the reading, Upton will speak about her works of fiction and poetry at a question and answer session at 2:15 p.m. Friday, Feb. 26 in Leonard Theatre.

Her poetry has earned her the Pushcart Prize, the National Poetry Series Award and inclusion in Best American Poetry 2008. In addition, her short fiction has appeared in such journals including Epoch, Shenandoah and The Antioch Review.

Journalism program offers summer institute

The journalism program will begin the Journalism Summer Institute (JSI) this year for non-majors, allowing students to complete their thematic sequence in six weeks. The JSI will include non-major versions of three journalism program courses. The classes are JRN 101, Introduction to Journalism; JRN 201, News Writing and Reporting I and JRN 202, Newswriting and Reporting II. These classes will give students an introduction to journalistic principles as well as instruction and experience in both print and broadcast journalism. "JSI will provide an intensive, six-week immersion into journalism for the student interested in learning about the values, traditions and practices of the profession," said Patricia Gallagher Newberry, who will teach JRN 201 in JSI. "It will be hard work, but will leave students with a solid grounding in the news meda." The JSI will run during Summer Session I from May 17 to June 15, and students will attend classes Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.