News Briefs

Staff

HDGS offers discounted meals to faculty, staff

Miami University faculty and staff will be able to purchase a discounted meal from Feb. 16-19 courtesy of Housing, Dining and Guest Services (HDGS). Deals4Meals will be hosted from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Harris Dining Hall.

Meals will be discounted during the lunch hour for the price of $6.75.Employees that choose to use payroll will get an additional 10 percent off the discounted meal they purchase.

Employees must mention the promotion and show their university ID in order to receive the meal for the price of $6.75.

GLBTQ gala to help raise awareness

Students are welcome to join Miami University's Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) community for a GLBT Gala Wednesday, Feb. 17. The celebration is a project of the LGBT Advisory Group.

GLBTQ's goal is to make the Miami community an open and safe environment for people of all sexualities and gender identities by providing programming, support and resources and by raising awareness regarding
GLBTQ issues.

The celebration will include dancing and desserts will be provided. The event will begin at 7:30 p.m. and will be held in the Heritage Room in the Shriver Center.

Group aims to educate Oxford on 2010 census

A group of five Miami University students are competing in the Bateman Case Study Competition through the Public Relations Student Society of America. The competition entails planning and executing a public relations plan for the 2010 United States Census at Miami and in Oxford.

The students' goals are to increase awareness and expected participation in the census in Oxford. The students have been working with the Office of the Dean of Students and Associated Student Government to make sure students are informed about the importance of the census and how to fill it out.

The students are spreading awareness through a Facebook.com group (2010 U.S. Census at Miami University), Twitter page (USCensusMiamiU), flyers, posters and cable access channel bulletins. The project began fall 2009 in a communication (COM) 359 class taught by Bill Brewer, clinical faculty of communication.

Musicians to perform at Hall Auditorium

Miami musicians are joining forces to perform music by Adolphus Hailstork, an award-winning African American composer. "Capturing the African-American Spirit, A Hailstork Celebration," which will be presented by the Miami University Performing Art Series and the department of music, will take place at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 19, in Hall Auditorium. Tickets are $18 adults, $17 seniors and $9 students/youth. For tickets or more information, go to http://www.muohio.edu/PerformingArtsSeries or call the box office at 529-3200.