News Briefs (4/23/10)

Staff

Showcase features top student speeches

Top speakers from Miami University's Public Expression and Critical Inquiry classes will compete in an end of semester speech showcase April 28. The students were chosen to present outstanding speeches they have delivered throughout the semester in their COM 135 course.

Featured student speakers include Scott Hovest, Kristen Thomas, Amanda Caspar, Jay Conroy, Brigette Meyers, Rebecca Hammond, Mallory Kaufman and Ander Duberstein. Each of the showcase participants will be awarded certificates and prizes donated by Pearson Education. The showcase winner will receive a prize valued at $500.

The department of communication encourages both students and faculty to attend the showcase. The showcase will be at 8 p.m. April 28 in the Taylor Auditorium, room 1000 in the Farmer School of Business.

IT announces winners of Ideas Campaign

The winners of the IT@Miami Ideas Campaign have been announced by IT Services.

Jinie Chin and Rocer LaFrance were selected to receive a $100 University Bookstore gift certificate for the ideas they contributed to IT Services.

Chin's idea called for a myMiami to be available to be used on cell phone and mobile devices.

LaFrance submitted an idea for IT services to improve wireless network services in residence halls.

Ideas will be accepted at the IT@Miami Ideas website for another round of awards until midnight August 9. Winners will be announced again April 19.

To submit an idea for the IT@Miami Ideas Campaign please visit the website at www.muohio.edu/ITideas.

Mock trial team reaches national rankings

As a result of their success at this year's national championship performance, the Miami mock trial program has moved up to third place in the nation in the BBR (bonus bid rankings), the three-year performance measure of collegiate mock trial programs.

During the Mock Trial National Championship tournament, which was held April 16 to 18 in Memphis, Tenn., two teams from the Miami University James Lewis Family Mock Trial program placed in the top 10.

Out of more than 350 colleges and universities, Miami is among only four programs in the nation to place two teams in the final top 10 at the national championships.

Miami's first squad tied for first place with Harvard, New York and Northwood universities, while Miami's second squad placed seventh in the national tournament. Mike Woeste, a first-year political science major, earned the highest All-American witness honor. He was the national championship tournament's only perfect-scoring witness.

The first squad's closing attorney on both prosecution and defense, Gus Lazares, was named one of the top 20 mock trial attorneys in the nation. He also achieved All-American status.