News briefs

Women's studies to host bicentennial symposium

The women's studies department will celebrate Miami University's bicentennial with a symposium titled "Theory into Action Across Generations" Friday and Saturday in 212 MacMillan Hall.

The panel will consist of former and current women's studies faculty members and students and will also showcase performances, exhibits and discussions.

The forum will focus on transforming knowledge into action and is sponsored by the Humanities Center, the Mina Burckhardt Endowed Capstone in Women's Studies and the women's studies program. For the complete schedule, visit http://www.muohio.edu/womensstudies.

Jazz Ensemble to hold concert, feature guests

The Miami University Jazz Ensemble will perform at 8 p.m. Nov. 23 in Hall Auditorium.

Jeremy Long, assistant professor of saxophone and jazz, conducts the ensemble. The free concert will feature a tribute to the 70th anniversary of Blue

Note Records.

Blue Note artists Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock and Horace Silver will also be performing.

For more information, contact the music department at (513) 529-3014.

Gerontology researcher is first recipient of grant

Scripps Gerontology Center's research associate Elizabeth Lokon received an Environment Arts Research Grant from The Society of Arts in Health and American Art Resources. She is the first recipient.

Lokon received this opportunity because of her efforts with "Opening Minds through Art (OMA): An Evaluation of an Art Program for People with Dementia." A trained volunteer aided Lokon in her endeavors.

With the grant Lokon will attend a Dementia Care Mapping (DCM) training course. DCM works to understand the behavioral aspects of those living with dementia. DCM and OMA together support social engagement, autonomy and dignity for those living with dementia.