News briefs

BWS debate series offers door prizes, raffles

The Black World Studies Great Debates Series will continue with the second debate being held from 5 to 7 p.m. Oct. 26 in 001 Upham Hall. Miami University's chapter of the N.A.A.C.P. and the Gentlemen of Distinguished Character co-sponsor these debates.

Door prizes and raffles will be offered. Those who attend are entered for a chance to win a fifth generation iPod Nano, digital recorders and music discs.

The first debate was held Sept. 28 and more than 100 Miami students were involved.

Health center continues Saturday services

Student Health Services is continuing to hold Saturday hours in response to the number of students with flu symptoms. According to Gail Walenga, assistant vice president of student health and wellness, Miami University began offering Saturday hours as they did not want students to have to visit McCullough-Hyde Memorial Hospital's emergency room on Saturdays.

The center will be open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. during flu season, and students can walk-in or call and make an appointment at (513) 529-3000.

Auditions to be held for Bicentennial finale

Open auditions for "A Grand Night for Singing" will be held Nov. 1 in 222 Presser Hall. The Miami University Performing Arts Series and the department of music are hosting the auditions, which are open to any Oxford or Miami community member.

The performance of "Grand Night" will take place April 17 and will feature musical selections from popular American musicals, including Ragtime and The Wizard of Oz.

The concert will also be the finale for Miami's Bicentennial celebration.

Those who audition will be asked to sing an entire number and an accompanist will be provided.

Sign ups for auditions will take place on the board outside Studio 235 in the Center for Performing Arts.