News briefs

Renovated 1809 Room to open Wednesday

Wednesday marks the opening of One Eight 09, the former 1809 Room with a modernized menu and bistro-like atmosphere renovations. Highlights include faster meal preparation and takeout food, according to Don King, director of the Shriver Center. Students can still only use meal plans during Sunday brunch.

The restaurant's hours will be 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Sunday to members of the Miami University and Oxford communities. The 1809 Room that was temporarily housed in Goggin closed Oct. 8.

Wind ensemble to perform Oct. 14

Miami University's Wind Ensemble will perform at 8 p.m. Oct. 14 in Hall Auditorium. Gary A. Speck will conduct the performance. Special guest Robert Ponto, associate professor of conducting and director of bands at the University of Oregon, will conduct the second half of the program.

Ponto will conduct pieces by American composers Ron Nelson, John Barnes Chance and Aaron Copland.

The performance will also feature "Three Miamian Fanfares" of pieces composed by Miami's resident composers, James Sheppard, professor of music and G. Roger Davis, associate professor of music. There will also be a piece composed by Steven Reineke, a 1993 Miami graduate.

Tickets cost $3 for students and $5 for the public and are available at the Miami Box Office in Shriver Center. For more information call (513) 529-3200.

Web site educates Middletown children on flu

The Miami University department of chemistry in Middletown developed a new way to teach younger students about the flu with the creation of a Web site. The program, geared toward elementary and middle school students, focuses on interactive activities. These activities teach students about the swine flu vaccine, where it originated and prevention techniques.

The Web site is located at http://www.terrificscience.org/flu. Newspapers in Education, an initiative to bring current events to the classroom, is also working with the Web site content by providing excerpts in more than 100 newspapers nationwide.