News briefs

Tours of Western campus honor Freedom Summer

In honor of the 45th anniversary of Miami University's Freedom Summer and the Civil Rights movement that took place June 1964 in Oxford, Miami is hosting "Walk With Me: Freedom Summer Interactive History Tours."

The tours will take place at 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays and at 3 p.m. Fridays through Oct. 16.

The tours will begin in front of Clawson Hall on Western Drive. The tour will last 45 minutes and will cover oral histories, letters and diaries of 1964 Freedom Summer student volunteers who trained to register voters in Freedom Schools in Mississippi.

The tour illustrates the tension and anxiety the activists felt when they learned three students were missing and eventually found dead.

Miami students created the interactive tours with Ann Elizabeth Armstrong, associate professor of theatre.

The tours are sponsored by the Western Program.

For more information about Freedom Summer programming at Miami, go to www.muohio.edu/freedomsummer2009.

Josh Kelley to headline outdoor concert Friday

Josh Kelley will be performing at 11:15 p.m. Sept. 18 on the back patio at Shriver Center. The free concert is hosted by AfterDark, Program Board, the Residence Hall Association and WMSR.

Free food will also be available for attendees. Also featured that night will be Miami University alumnus Jackson Rohm, who will perform at 9 p.m. and Jason Levasseur, who will perform at 10 p.m.

Award celebrates food services' excellence

Miami University has been awarded two gold awards and one honorable mention in the 2009 Loyal E. Horton Dining Awards, continuing its tradition of holding the most awards from the National Association of College and University Food Services (NACUFS).

Miami won the awards in the large school category for excellent service and creative menu items and for preparation at Haines Food Court at the Shriver Center. Carillon Catering also received an award for the celebratory dinner created for the 40th anniversary of the Hamilton campus.

In total, Miami has won seven grand prizes, 12 gold, five silver, four bronze, one third place and four honorable mention awards from the NACUFS since 2004.