News briefs

Students to participate in World Vision Famine

Miami University students will hold their annual World Vision 30-Hour Famine April 24 through 25. Students go without food, drinking only liquids, for 30 hours to experience what the world's poorest families endure.

Half a million students and young adults across the country work toward raising more than $12 million to fight world hunger. Miami's goal is to raise $5,000. Students can sign up via the Facebook.com event: 30- Hour Famine at Miami.

The World Vision 30-Hour Famine is celebrating 18 years. Its goal is to raise awareness and money to fight hunger both in the United States and across the globe. This year's theme is "will starve for food." Students will also perform hands-on community service projects during the weekend.

Activities will take place April 24 in Lower Alexander Hall including a band, board games, door prizes and educational activities to raise awareness on world hunger.

Any questions can be directed to miamifamine@gmail.com.

Goggin to host ice skating event for Miami campus

Miami University and local ice skaters will be able to show off their skating skills April 24 to 25 at Goggin Ice Arena as part of the "Goggin Road Trip Ice Show."

Skaters of all levels, from beginner to advanced, will perform 7:30 p.m. Friday and 5 p.m. Saturday. The event will also include a performance by the Miami synchronized skating teams and the varsity ice hockey team.

Tickets are $8 for the general public, $7 for senior citizens and free for children under 2. They are available for sale at the Goggin Pro Shop.

Professor receives fellowship in education

Doris Bergen, a Miami University distinguished professor of educational psychology, has been inducted as an inaugural Fellow of the American Education Research Association (AERA) at its national meeting April 14 in San Diego.

AERA is an organization that encourages inquiry about different topics in education serving the public good.

Bergen has also been recognized by the National Association of Early Childhood Teacher Educators and was one of 15 faculty members named a distinguished professor by Miami's board of trustees in 2007.