News briefs

Program recognizes Holocaust survivors

Miami University's annual Holocaust Awareness Program will take place from April 20 to 24. The event is hosted by the Center for American and World Cultures (CAWC) in partnership with many student organizations.

A holocaust film series is planned for 7 p.m. April 20 through 22 in 128 Pearson. Henry Fenichel, holocaust survivor and professor emeritus of physics at the University of Cincinnati, will discuss his personal survival story at 4:30 p.m. April 23 in 128 Pearson. At 4 p.m. April 24 in 128 Pearson, George Vascik, associate professor of history at the Miami Hamilton campus, will talk about anti-Semitism in northern Germany.

The events are free and open to the public. For more information contact the CAWC at 529-8309.

Students place first in local song competition

Four Miami University students placed first place at the Buckeye Chapter National Association of Teachers of Singing Voice Competition April 3 and 4 at Cedarville College in Dayton. Ten Miami students placed, while 18 competed.

Two hundred students performed at the competition, coming from more than 25 universities including Ohio State University, Bowling Green State University and Kent State University.

First-year Megan McGill, sophomore Emily Moses and juniors Antonia Tamer and Phillip Jennings received first place recognition. Sophomore Wyko ter Haar, junior Kevin Brown, senior Roy Eikleberry and graduate student Mark Rysdon placed second. Sophomore Mark Aiken finished third.

Senior Lori Pacholka attained a fourth place honorable mention, while other competitors included Lara Wolford, Mary Therese Bridge, Alyson Rothenbusch, Jade Victoria, Ashley Hall, Taylor Luby, Lohol Gonzales and Brian McQueen.

Miami alumni receives international award

A Miami alum has been named one of five winners of the 2009 International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) Prize for Young Chemists.

Shengqian Ma received his doctorate for inorganic chemistry from Miami University in 2008. The international competition recognized Ma's doctoral thesis work on "Gas Adsorption Applications of Porous Metal-Organic Frameworks."

Ma revealed information about porous metal-organic frameworks (MOFs), a new class of materials. Ma said these materials will spark much interest in the future.

Ma will receive $1,000 and a trip to the IUPAC Congress in Glasgow, Scotland, in August. For more information on his research, visit http://iupac.org/news/prize/2009/Ma.pdf.