News briefs

President Hodge to throw first pitch at Reds game

The Miami University community will take over the Great American Ball Park at 1:10 p.m. Sunday, April 26

for Miami Day at the Cincinnati Reds baseball game. The Reds will be playing the Atlanta Braves and discounted tickets are available for faculty, staff, students and alumni.

President David Hodge and his wife, Valerie, will throw the first pitch in celebration of Miami's Bicentennial

and there will be performances by Miami's pep band and Men's Glee Club.

A Miami Reds Day Student Ticket Package is available to faculty, staff and students including round-trip bus fare and one ticket in the bleacher seat section for $20 if purchased before April 13 or $25 if purchased after that date. The deadline is April 22.

Professor, author to give reading of published work

Benjamin M. Sutcliffe, assistant professor of Russian, will present a reading from his book, The Prose of Life: Russian Women Writers from Khrushchev to Putin, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 15 at Follett's Miami Co-Op Bookstore.

The book delves into daily life experiences of women in Russia from the 1960s to today through the works of six female authors.

This book is the first of its kind to examine how and why everyday life has affected the development of Russian women's prose.

The public is invited to attend and Sutcliffe will be signing copies of his book.

Senior receives Fulbright grant for 2009-10 year

Miami University senior Rebekah Farrar has been awarded the prestigious Fulbright Award for the 2009-10 school year.

Farrar, a math and statistics major with a minor in Chinese, will spend the next year in Taiwan teaching English.

Farrar was one of 18 Miami students to apply for the award in October.

In February, she was notified she was one of five finalists from that group of 18 to receive the grant thus far.

The Fulbright Award, established in 1946, is a scholarship that encourages international education, research and collaboration.