News Briefs (11/9/10)

Staff

Award-winning play to show at Miami

The Tony Award winner for Best Play, Art, will premiere at Miami University Nov. 18.

Art is a comedy about how three men work through their competing egos and differing opinions over the years. The play is directed by assistant professor in the theater department, Lewis Magruder.

Art will play 8 p.m. Nov. 18 to 20, and 2 p.m. Dec. 2 to 4 Dec. 5 in the Gates-Abegglen Theatre.

Tickets are $9 for adults, $8 for seniors and $6 for students. There are $4 curricular discounts available. Tickets can be purchased at the Shriver Box Office by calling (513) 529-3200 or by visiting www.tickets.muohio.edu.

Opera to present classical production

The Department of Music will present the opera Cinderella at Hall Auditorium.

Performances will run at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 11 to Nov. 13.

The production will be stage directed by former artistic director for the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, Nicholas Muni, and musically directed by Ricardo Averbach.

The opera will be sung in English. The production will utilize 75 students from several departments.

Tickets are available at the Miami University Box Office either online at www.tickets.muohio.edu or through the phone at (513) 529-3200. Tickets are $12 for adults, $10 for senior citizens and $8 for students.

Week-long event to celebrate social justice

Miami University will host its seventh annual Human Rights and Social Justice Day entitled A Call to Action: Bridging and Bonding Across Borders Wednesday, Nov. 17. The weeklong event will feature discussions and other such programs, starting with the Human Rights and Social Justice Information Fair from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 17 in the Shriver Center multipurpose room.

Other highlights include a panel discussion entitled Is Inclusion Happening? Best Practices in Inclusive Education from 4:30 to 6 p.m. in 212 MacMillan Hall, and another Nov. 19 entitled Latinas in Ohio: Facing Challenges, Taking Action, from 12:30 to 1:15 p.m. in 212 MacMillan Hall.

The Human Rights and Social Justice program is sponsored by the Center for American and World Cultures (CAWC) in tandem with other university organizations. For more information, or to obtain a full schedule of events, please contact the CAWC at (513) 529-8309.