New student trustee joins Board after delay

Samantha Wargolet, For The Miami Student

Although there was a time lapse in the selection process, Ohio Gov. John Kasich's office has chosen a new student trustee to join junior Lot Kwarteng on Miami University's Board of Trustees.

Junior Arianne Wilt was selected as the new student trustee at the end of May.

She has already attended her first meeting, and she said she is ready to take on the role.

"I think it's a great honor to have been chosen for the position," Wilt said.

After going through a rigorous selection process that she describes as "very intense," Wilt had to wait almost five months for the final decision to be made.

Wilt said after the long wait, she is ready to take on her position with a "focus on campus safety and lighting, as well as athletic and school spirit."

The Associated Student Government (ASG) presented Gov. Kasich's office with three finalists for the position right before winter break of last year. The governor's decision wasn't announced until the end of May, and during that time lapse, only Kwarteng was on the board to represent Miami students.

Ted Pickerill, the executive assistant to the president and secretary to the Board of Trustees, explained that the state of Ohio has hundreds of board and commission positions to fill every year. Because these positions are of utmost importance, they are appointed by the governor "to ensure their successful and continuous operation," Pickerill said.

The reason the decision took so long? According to Kwarteng, the governor has a very serious responsibility in appointing these members, and with the advice of the Ohio Senate, the decision is not made lightly.

Kwarteng said he was not bothered by taking on the responsibilities of the position alone.

"It's always preferable to have two student trustees who can work together and offer different perspectives to the other board members," Kwarteng said. "But I truly was not phased or intimidated by the fact that I was the only student trustee."

As student trustees, Wilt and Kwarteng both serve as non-voting members of the Board. Although they do not cast votes, Wilt said the Board listens to what the students have to say.

"[The Board is] not on campus everyday, so they truly value the opinions of the student trustees," Wilt said.

Pickerill also said the Board appreciates student opinions.

"The Board greatly values the input and perspective of every student trustee," Pickerill said, "Their membership is a valuable addition to the process."

The application to become a student trustee is not to be taken lightly, according to Wilt and Kwarteng. A student must complete an application, then the Executive Council of ASG conducts hour-long interviews. From there, the Executive Council of ASG submits its top five candidates to the governor.

Wilt first heard about the position through Kwarteng, who was her friend prior to the entire process.

"I sat down and had a three hour conversation with Lot to learn all about the position," Wilt said.

Kwarteng said Wilt is a nice addition to the Board.

"It's great to have someone as competent and reliable as Arianne," Kwarteng said.

The Board will look to fill Kwarteng's position in October.