New Oxford City Council members set goals

Sarah Sidlow, Community Editor

Oxford City Council will focus on fiscal responsibility as it embarks on its new term. New council members Kate Rousmaniere and Stephen Snyder and the re-elected Mayor Richard Keebler were chosen out of five candidates, according to Oxford Clerk of Council Mary Ann Eaton. They were welcomed by City Council at their meeting Tuesday night.

Keebler stressed that the council will need to stay vigilant in determining the city's fiscal priorities.

"We have to maintain a reasonable capital improvement plan while dealing with less state support," he said.

Keebler mentioned some new projects for the coming term that would be of interest to Oxford residents including a new pool, new police and court facilities and conservation of the agricultural zone around the outside of the city. But he warns that the funding will not be remarkable.

"[Funding these plans is] going to be very tough during these next few years until the economy improves," he said.

Keebler also said City Council will continue to work on the existing projects in Oxford including improvements in the Locust Street area, preserving family neighborhoods in and adjacent to Mile Square and the completion of the improvements on U.S. Route 27. He also hopes to revamp the Oxford fire station.

"We badly some fire station improvements now that we have people living there 24 hours a day," Keebler said.

All of these projects, both new and existing will depend heavily on how well the Oxford City Council can work together.

"Part of what we're trying to do is continue what we've been doing. We've gotten along very well as a council. We've worked together and been able to reach a consensus. Most of our votes have been unanimous," Keebler said.

But Keebler is not worried about the new additions to city council.

"I think [Kate Rousmaniere and Stephen Snyder] will be a good addition. I think we lost two very good people, and we've also picked up two very good people. I look forward to working with them," Keebler said.