New call center to bring 682 jobs to downtown Hamilton

By Julia Rivera, For The Miami Student

Hamilton may be getting the economic boost it needs with the addition of a call center in the downtown area.

On Feb. 23, city officials announced the center will become a part of the abandoned Elder Beerman building. The center will allow for 682 full time jobs and will generate $15.7 million in annual payroll, according to Ohio Gov. John Kasich.

"When you are talking that many jobs, you are not only talking about the residents of Hamilton, but also people who live in our surrounding Butler County communities will benefit as well," Jody Gunderson, director of economic development for Hamilton, said.

Junior James Grove, originally from Hamilton, fell victim to the rundown state of Hamilton. His family's farm was shut down and when it closed, thousands of people lost their jobs.

"That's a story that's common in our region within the rust belt and Hamilton is starting to show signs of succession from the years of crippling economic recession," he said. "Downtown needs jobs especially. This is where the restaurant I work at is located and with this influx of jobs we will have more foot traffic downtown and a larger audience to appeal to."

Startek USA, INC is a Colorado-based company in charge of opening the new center. Startek will occupy the building that sits on the corner of High and Market streets and has been abandoned since 2009. It is three stories high and about 120,000 square feet.

According to its website, Startek opens centers with programs "dedicated to improving and supporting the communities they are a part of through direct involvement and volunteerism."

Hamilton's economy has been greatly affected by the recession that began in 2008. According to the governor's announcement, a state tax credited through Jobs Ohio was paired with local economic development groups in hopes of attracting Startek to Hamilton.

"If people had more jobs available, you may see a decrease in crime," said Neal Schuett, Miami University visiting assistant professor of the Business Legal Studies and the Finance Departments. "People will have an incentive to leave the house and stay sober: a job. The bad economy of Hamilton led my family to bypass the housing market there and instead purchased our house in Liberty Township."