New bookstore with a twist coming to former Quarter Barrel location

Books&Brews, a used bookstore franchise from Indianapolis, is opening a new location at the site of former Quarter Barrel Brewery on the corner of Poplar and Church Street. Books&Brews sets itself apart from other used bookstores by offering not only a light menu of appetizers, sandwiches, coffees and desserts, but also by serving a variety of draft beers.

"It's really a unique concept," said owner-operator of the new Books&Brews franchise Ann Kamphaus. "It's like drinking a beer while you're in the library. It's where books meet beer."

The bookstore's menu will be entirely literary themed, from the "Hemingway" Cuban sandwich to the "Cream and Punishment" cream ale. Books&Brews will feature five house beers and will rotate seasonal ales throughout the year.

All used books will be $3, and the store will donate 10 percent of its used book profits to the Oxford Community Foundation's Oxford Literacy Team, Kamphaus said.

Kamphaus is a longtime Oxford resident, so having her store in Oxford was a big priority, she said. She originally purchased the franchise in September 2017, but waited almost two years to find the perfect location in Oxford before opening up shop.

Kamphaus said that she wants Books&Brews to be a place for people of all ages, not just those over 21.

"It's not just for the 21 to 26 crowd. It's definitely a place where we felt comfortable bringing our kids to," she said of her first visit to a Books&Brews location. "We played Yahtzee and looked through the books and had food. It was just a good, family kind of day."

Kamphaus said she hopes to bring that same "chill" environment to the Oxford location by hosting trivia and game nights, fundraisers and other gatherings for both the university and Oxford community.

She plans to move into her storefront in early April and open Books&Brews to the public in June.

carlintm@miamioh.edu