Musketeers hold off Red and White

Redshirt freshman outside hitter Sarah Chaney and the Miami University volleyball team host the Best Western/Sycammore Inn Invitational this weekend.

Jordan Rinard, For The Miami Student

Redshirt freshman outside hitter Sarah Chaney and the Miami University volleyball team host the Best Western/Sycammore Inn Invitational this weekend. (Blake Wilson | The Miami Student)

The Miami University volleyball team put up a valiant effort, but in the end it could not overcome the Musketeers of Xavier University (XU), dropping a 2-3 decision.

The RedHawks (1-6) had impressive outings from junior libero Madison Hardy and sophomore setter/outside hitter Meg Riley, contributing a career high 32 digs and a triple-double (14 kills, 25 assists and 13 digs), respectively.

Other contributors for the 'Hawks included senior setter Amy Kendall, junior outside hitter Madison Dodd and redshirt freshman outside hitter Sarah Chaney. Kendall recorded a double-double with 21 assists and 10 digs, Dodd accounted for 15 kills and 4 digs and Chaney pitched in with 6 kills and 11 digs.

The 'Hawks were evenly matched with Xavier and in the hotly contested first set the Red and White snagged a 30-28 victory for its first point. The Musketeers then rebounded 25-22 to even it all up at 1-1.

After the break, Miami played its best volleyball of the night with scoring runs of 7-2 and 4-0 en route to a 25-21 victory in the third set. However, Xavier responded with an 8-2 run of its own to clinch a win in the fourth set, 25-19. In the fifth and final set, the RedHawks struggled to score, falling behind 3-9 and could not recover as the Musketeers took the set 15-11 and the game.

"It was a tough match, but we did some things really well," Head Coach Carolyn Condit said.

Condit is one win away from 600 victories over her illustrious career.

Xavier (5-3) was challenged by the Red and White but made the plays they needed to make down the stretch. XU senior libero Stephanie Vorherr recorded 20 digs, putting her at 1,735, the most in school history. Senior outside hitter Ame White also contributed to the cause with a double-double.

"The Xavier game was a huge heartbreak for us as a team," Hardy said. "We showed a lot of fight and determination, but unfortunately, the score at the end wasn't what we wanted. This game had many glimpses of the great team we can be when we don't make unforced errors. The crowd's support through a three-hour match just shows the amazing fans we have at Miami. We hope to see everyone back in Millett Hall this weekend for our first home tournament."

Miami hosts the Best Western/ Sycamore Inn Invitational in Oxford Friday and Saturday. The 'Hawks start play 7 p.m. Friday against Indiana State University at Millett Hall. The Sycamores (1-6) have plenty of talent on the floor with senior middle blocker Shea Doran picking up 19 kills and junior outside hitter Molly Murphy racking up a double-double in a loss to Western Illinois University.

The RedHawks also face the Cougars of Chicago State University (CSU) 10 a.m. Saturday. CSU (2-7) is coming off a 3-1 win over Coppin State University, thanks in part to the 17 kills by senior middle blocker Sydney Van Munster. The 'Hawks end the Invitational against Temple University 7:30 p.m. Saturday. The Owls (4-3) roll into Oxford as Big 5 Tournament Champions and along with them the Tournament Most Valuable Player, senior libero Chelsea Tupuola.

"Our match against Xavier showed us what skills we need to improve on, and this weekend we hope to put it all together," Dodd said. "The three upcoming matches should be pretty exciting and competitive, and we plan on winning the tournament title."