MU’s McKay suspended for remainder of hockey career

By Grace Remington, Sports Editor

Miami University hockey senior goaltender Ryan McKay was recently suspended for the remainder of the semester and, since this is his last season of eligibility, it means he's suspended for the rest of his career and is no longer with the team.

McKay had been a healthy scratch since Jan. 9, and though reasons included speculation of an internal confrontation, head coach Rico Blasi said there was none.

"There was no altercation," Blasi said. "It's really just a team thing that happens from time to time … if he wasn't a senior he'd be allowed back on the team."

McKay last played on Jan. 9. For the majority of the season, McKay was Miami's starting netminder, playing in all but three games until he was scratched. He ended the season with a 2.57 goals against average and a .905 save percentage. Senior Jay Williams has since taken over McKay's role.

In his Miami career, McKay posted a 2.37 goals against average and a .917 save percentage with a 34-35-8 record. He was named to the conference all-rookie team in the 2012-13 season.

Though he is still enrolled in classes at Miami, he is not practicing with the team, and he was not recognized on senior night.

"Justin [Roethlingshoefer, strength and conditioning coach] has been available for any kind of workouts that he might want to do on his own," Blasi said. "So we've been very accommodating with anything that he might need, other than being with the team."

Freshman Evan McCarthy is Williams' backup. He has no collegiate game experience.

McKay did not respond to an interview request by the time of publication.