MU tennis splits series with Marshall and Penn State

Jordan Rinard, The Miami Student

Following their 7-0 upset of 65th-ranked Marhsall University on Saturday, the Miami University tennis team could not keep the momentum going on Sunday and lost a tough 3-4 battle against Penn State University, who came into the contest ranked 61st in the country.

In the first matchup in University Park, Penn, the 'Hawks (3-8) swept the singles competition with sophomore Nimisha Mohan, senior Rieke Honiball, senior Stephanie Danesis, sophomore Christiana Raymond, freshman Christine Guerrazzi, and freshman Alix Thurman all recording victories in the sweep.

"This weekend was a great turn around for the team," Raymond said. " We have been improving throughout the season and this weekend it really showed."

In doubles play, the teams of Honiball-Guerrazzi and Mohan-Raymond both picked up points for Miami with victories. The loss dropped the Thundering Herd to 3-5 on the season.

"I think the most significant improvement shown this weekend was getting the doubles point for both matches," Raymond said. "Beating Marshall yesterday was a great win because it was our first win over a nationally ranked team thus far this season. Every girl on the team contributed by fighting hard and bringing a lot of energy to the match."

The RedHawks were less successful on Sunday against the Nittany Lions, going 2-4 in singles competition with Honiball and Raymond getting the lone victories.

"Our match against Penn State was a nail biter and came down to just a few points here and there," Raymond said. "We are now looking ahead to next weekend when we play Louisville. We are looking forward to continuing to improve with each practice and match and to get ready for conference matches starting March 23." 

Miami did post two 8-6 victories in doubles thanks to the teams of Danesis-Thurman and Honiball-Guerrazzi.

Head coach Anca Dumitrescu was optimistic as the team moves forward though.

"We put up a good fight in singles," Dumitrescu said. "We played a good team and look forward to getting ready for the MAC season".

The RedHawks return "home" Saturday, March 3 to face the University of Louisville Cardinals. The matchup starts at 2 p.m and will be played on Miami's Hamilton campus. After that, the 'Hawks will take their show on the road to Tampa, Fl. where they will come up against Hillsborough Community College (2-1) and the University of South Florida Bulls (7-3) on March 7 and 8.