MU splits doubleheaders

Senior pitcher Paige Myers winds up during Miami’s 7-3 win over Austin Peay.

Jordan Rinard, Senior Staff Writer

Senior pitcher Paige Myers winds up during Miami’s 7-3 win over Austin Peay. (Blake Wilson | The Miami Student)

The Miami University softball team had its ups and downs over the weekend as it split its doubleheaders with Austin Peay State University and Canisius College. The RedHawks (6-10) are now three weekends away from their Mid-American Conference opener.

In the first game against Austin Peay, Miami struck quickly with three RBIs in the first inning from senior second baseman Kristy Arbour, senior catcher Kayla Ledbetter and senior first baseman Allie Larrabee. The Lady Governors struck back with two solo shots in the second, but 'Hawks offense kept at it with Larrabee and junior shortstop Kylie McChesney driving in runs in the third while Ledbetter hit a two-RBI single in the fourth. APSU tacked on another homer in the fifth to round out the scoring as Miami won 7-3.

Larrabee and sophomore outfielder Taylor Shuey were the cogs in the RedHawk attack, accounting for four hits and four RBIs. Despite giving up three home runs, the pitching staff performed well, giving up only three hits outside of the dingers.

The second game of the doubleheader featured a pitchers' duel, as there were only six hits. The lone score came off an Austin Peay homer in the top of the second and the Red and White were unable to sustain any offense in the game. Sophomore pitcher Amber Logemann threw a complete game three-hitter.

"They [Austin Peay] played great," head coach Clarisa Crowell said. "They had great pitching and defense. We weren't very lucky today, but I'm proud of our players and the heart, attitude, and effort that they showed. We just need to put things together. I loved their fight and grit and that we don't give up. Amber Logemann threw great today."

Logemann said she pitched well for the most part.

"I was generally pleased [with how I pitched]," Logemann said. "The home run was just a ball that got away from me... We gave it our all today, but we have to keep positive. We [as a pitching staff] need to keep staying ahead of the count and keeping hitters off balance."

Canisius drew first blood in the opening game of the Sunday doubleheader as it got a three-run homer in the first. Miami answered in the bottom of the inning with a sacrifice fly ball from McChesney to make the score 3-1. Ledbetter got a solo shot in the third, but it was not enough as the Golden Griffons tacked on runs in the fourth and sixth innings to win 6-2.

Ledbetter accounted for half of the team's hits with two, as Miami was unable to sustain offense for much of the game. The pitching staff also had its struggles allowing eight hits, six earned runs and five walks.

The 'Hawks kicked off the scoring in the second game with a RBI single from sophomore first baseman Hailey Reed and the lead held until Canisius reeled off two runs in the fifth. The Golden Griffons walked sophomore designated player Jenna Modic with the bases loaded to take the game into extra innings. Shuey played the role of hero with a two-out RBI to give the RedHawks a comeback victory.

"We started off slow today in the beginning [of the doubleheader] so it was good to bounce back," Shuey said. "We always talk about getting 1 percent better, but we probably needed to get 10 percent better from the first game. I'm proud of the team... We showed that we were gritty out there."

The offense picked up some key hits on the afternoon as Arbour went 3-4 in the while junior third baseman Remy Edwards and freshman utility player Eryn McCarver each recorded two hits. Logemann had another strong performance as she went five innings with four hits and six strikeouts.

The RedHawks return to action in the Michelle Smith Spring Break Tournament this weekend when they take on the University of Maine, Seton Hall University, the University of Connecticut, Boston University and the University of St. Joseph's over the course of three days in Clearwater, Fla.