MU senior's taxi service shuttles students around Oxford

Heekin (second from left) has a crew of Miami University student drivers to help give passengers a lift home, including (from left) junior Jay Sullivan and seniors Chris Cooley, Rodger Davis and James Cooling.

Meaghan McAvoy

With the new school year underway and temperatures on the decline, Miami University students have one thing to be grateful for - the reestablished 523-TAXI service in Oxford.

Miami senior Jack Heekin brought the taxi service back at the beginning of the 2009-10 school year when he saw it as a service the city was lacking.

523-TAXI - previously known as Uptown Taxi - was originally founded in 2003 by then junior Adam Hirsen. Heekin said Uptown Taxi was successful for a few years until it eventually tapered off. After graduating in 2005, Hirsen passed the taxi service on to fellow business students who had expressed interest in taking it over.

Heekin said he does not think Oxford has had a legitimate taxi service available throughout his time at Miami, beginning in fall 2006. He said he likes being able to offer affordable and safe rides for students.

Although Heekin is still getting the business off the ground, he said he is grateful for the guidance of Hirsen - a fellow Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity brother.

Heekin said he first became interested in spearheading a taxi business because of an entrepreneurship class he took in spring 2009 that required students to create a business. Although he could not afford to put his plan into fruition last year, Heekin said 523-TAXI is well on its way to success because of help from family and friends.

"523-TAXI basically started from friends and family," Heekin said. "It's intimidating to take that big of a risk but your friends and family will help you out, and hard work will pay off in the end."

Heekin said although "it's scary to invest all (his) life savings," he enjoys the experience of actually running a business and establishing connections with other entrepreneurship students.

"We're trying to have fun with it," Heekin said. "It's not about making money."

523-TAXI is entirely student-run, which Heekin said helps to make people feel more comfortable getting in a taxi with a stranger.

With crime being an issue both on and off campus, Heekin said a taxi service is a huge step forward for student safety.

"(Whether) it's a girl walking home alone at night, or if a student drank too much, it's better than paying a big court fee the next day," Heekin said.

Senior Sarah Stump said she is happy to learn that a taxi service exists in Oxford.

"It's nice to know that this exists just for the nights when I get off work at 3 a.m. and don't want to walk home alone," Stump said.

523-TAXI is open for business 9 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. Thursday through Saturday, and airport service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 523-TAXI can be reached at 513-523-TAXI (8294) or at http://523taxi.services.officelive.com.