MU selects Hey as interim Middletown dean

Mary Kate Linehan

After the resignation of Kelly Cowan in May as dean of Miami University Middletown, Provost Jeffery Herbst has named Jeanne Hey as interim dean of the campus.

Herbst has been searching for Cowen's replacement and announced Monday that Hey, professor of political science and director of Miami's international studies program, will take on the position for the 2009-10 school year.

Hey said she was excited by Herbst's consideration for the position of interim dean of the Middletown Campus.

"He asked me if I would be interested in being considered, and I said 'Yes,'" Hey said. "I'm sure there were a number of people who were under consideration as well. I am humbled and honored that he chose me."

According to Rob Schorman, associate dean for academic affairs at Miami Middletown, Herbst explored various candidates before selecting Hey.

"(Herbst) collected and asked for input from anyone who had suggestions who were to nominate themselves or someone else. Then through a process of talking to those people and other people connected with the search, the provost selected Dr. Hey," Schorman said.

Claire Wagner, associate director of university communication, credited Hey's history at Miami as a foundation to set Hey up for success at Middletown.

"She has had some administrative duties at Miami, in addition to being a faculty member who teaches and does research and it helps if you know some of the duties to go with budgets," Wagner said.

Wagner said many staff members at Miami Middletown are optimistic with the announcement of Hey as interim dean.

"I think Dr. Hey was a very good choice. I like the fact that she has very good administrative experience and therefore is able to know how things work in the university," Schorman said.

Hey's title will be made effective August 10. Cowan will remain in the executive office as a community liaison during the next year.

"I will be acting in the dean's capacity for one year. I am not foreseeing this as something that will last beyond that," Hey said. "Kelly Cowan, very generously, has agreed to stay on as the community liaison for the Middletown campus, which means she'll be doing much of the interaction with local groups and working with the community. So my focus will be on making sure that everything on campus works and achieves its highest potential."

Wagner approved of the pair and said they would be "good partners" to improve Miami Middletown during the next year.

According to Schorman, Hey is emotionally and mentally prepared to work with the staff, community and students at the Middletown campus.

"She was over at campus not too long ago and when she met with the group, she seemed very enthusiastic and very eager to find out as much as she could about what we were doing and how she could help us," Schorman said.

According to an e-mail Hey sent to students majoring in international studies Thursday, July 9, Dean Karen Schilling is currently searching for an interim director to manage the international studies program while Hey is in Middletown for the year.

The e-mail also said Jamie Gillen will fill in for the international studies courses Hey was scheduled to teach this fall. Hey wrote she would remain involved in the international studies program's 50th anniversary celebration and program review this fall.