MU regionals, Sinclair CC sign dual admission agreement

Catherine Couretas, Editor in Chief

The Miami University regional campuses have signed a dual admission agreement with Sinclair Community College (SCC) to allow for a smooth transition and lower costs for students who wish to earn a bachelor of integrative studies (BIS) from Miami.

According to Jan Toennisson, director of public affairs at the Middletown campus, the university system in Ohio has been pushing for cooperation between universities and institutions of higher eduction in Ohio, and this agreement does just that.

Under the agreement, students can start their education at SCC and finish with a BIS degree from one of the Miami regional campuses. Students can complete up to two years at SCC knowing that the classes they are taking will count toward a BIS degree.

Toennisson said Miami's Voice of America Learning Center (VOALC) in West Chester is in such close proximity to SCC's satellite campus in Mason it makes the program easy for students who want to earn a bachelor's degree, something SCC, as a community college, does not offer.

"Basically, what this does, is if someone starts at Sinclair, this assures them all the classes they're taking [at Sinclair] will count and transfer," Toennisson said. "It makes things easier."

Rod Nimtz, director of the VOALC, agreed.

"Students will have a clearly defined path they can follow," Nimtz said. "It's designed to help people."

Nimtz said it will open portals for students who are looking to move ahead and earn a bachelor's degree.

"They may not be able to do it in a four year traditional setting and want to have that bachelor's degree," Nimtz said. "They might already have their associate degree or are just getting started."

Nimtz said students can complete the degree at Middletown, Hamilton or the VOALC, depending on their concentration. Two of the eight concentrations are offered at the VOALC, while all eight are offered at Middletown and Hamilton.

Nimtz said over 450 students are currently registered for the BIS program.

For more information on the program, visit http://www.regionals.mu ohio.edu/bis/.