MU rally comes up short against Toledo

By Jack Brewer, For The Miami Student

The Miami University men's basketball team fell 70-65 against the University of Toledo Tuesday, despite rallying back from a late eight point deficit. With two and a half minutes to go, the RedHawks (7-13, 2-5 Mid-American Conference) went 8-0 to tie up the contest at 65, but were unable to capitalize on the momentum.

"I thought our effort was good enough coming out on the road playing against a good Toledo team," head coach John Cooper said. "We did some things that I thought showed really some signs for our group. I put us in a little bit of a hole getting a technical foul there, but yet still we found a way to come back and put ourselves in the game and had an opportunity there to take the lead."

Junior guard Eric Washington led the RedHawks with 16 points to go along with a game-high eight assists. Washington had four of the team's eight points down the stretch to tie the game with 1:11 to go. Junior guard Willie Moore supplied the other four points of the RedHawks' late run. Freshman forward Logan McLane scored a career-high 14 points and reeled in seven rebounds. McLane shot an efficient 6-7 from the field.

"Logan McLane has really stepped up for us and given us good minutes," Cooper said. "Eric was obviously terrific in that game, so we have a lot of guys giving us positive input when they get in the game. Now we just have to keep our heads down and keep working and not let this game affect our next one."

Toledo (12-8, 4-3 MAC) had four players put up double figures on the night, led by sophomore guard Jonathan Williams with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Senior forward J.D. Weatherspoon and senior guard Julius Brown both notched 13 points, while junior center Nathan Boothe added 10 points for the Rockets.

Both teams were very efficient offensively, with the RedHawks making 48 percent of their shots and the Rockets hitting 49 percent of their shots. The Rockets dominated on the boards, outrebounding the RedHawks 35 to 23, including 10 offensive rebounds.

Miami is back in action against Ball State 3:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 31 in Millett Hall. The game will be broadcast on redhawkradio.com.