MU prepares for Rod McCravy Memorial

Win Braswell, For The Miami Student

The Miami University women's indoor track & field team looks to continue their record-breaking season as they hit the road this Saturday in Lexington, Ky. at the University of Kentucky Rod McCravy Memorial meet.

Several athletes have made their way into the upper echelon of the Miami record books with three meets completed. Competition has continued to stiffen each week, but the RedHawks have answered the call and have made their presence felt.

"Whenever we get the opportunity to run against someone better than us, to push us, it's always better," Head Coach Kelly Phillips said. "The competition this week is going to be pretty good, with teams like Kentucky, [the University of Mississippi] and [the University of] Tennessee competing."

Because record breaking has become pretty normal this season, Saturday should not disappoint. In particular, the 60 meter hurdles record is in danger of being eclipsed. Junior hurdler Layne Baggett placed second of all collegiately eligible athletes in the event at the Gradstein Invitational, with a time of 8.74 seconds, so expect her to have another strong meet.

Baggett is the reigning Mid-American Conference (MAC) 100 meter hurdle champion and is creeping closer and closer to the current 60 meter record of 8.46 seconds, set in 2003 by Erin Connelly at the MAC Championship.

"I'm really close to the record, with my time from last year [8.67 seconds]," Baggett said. "I've been really consistent this year and I'm hoping to get out of the blocks faster. Hopefully, that will translate to improvement in the rest of the race."

Baggett will definitely be pushed this week. Kentucky hurdler Precious Nwokey holds the top performance of all Wildcat hurdlers, with an 8.46 second 60 meter time.

"The better competition will definitely help me move faster," Baggett said. "There are a lot of people from last year with good times and they've gotten better. So, I am just trying to knock my time down too."

Freshman phenomenon Gretchen Walter has had a very dynamic season as well. The sprinter has already placed in the top five in several races, winning two, and helped the 4x400 meter relay team set a new school record last week. After a third place, 25.66 second, finish in the 200 meter dash Saturday, Walter has focused this week on improving her two best events.

"My time wasn't bad, for it only being the second time I've run [the 200 meter] indoor," Walter said. "[Coach Etelman] has been throwing us in lots of different events to see where we're strongest, but the 200 meter and 400 meter are my two favorite races."

The 'Hawks will be taking on many teams from arguably the best conference in America. The Southeastern Conference boasts some of the fastest sprinters year after year and always has a strong showing in the NCAA Championship.

If the first three meets are any indication of what to expect from the Red and White all season long, then Saturday's meet should be one for the record books.