MU prepares for Northern Invitational

Justin Maskulinski, Senior Staff Writer

The Miami University golf team begins its season this weekend in Sugar Grove, Ill. for the Northern Invitational, and the expectations have been set for the 11-man roster.

"I expect that if we go out and do the things we're supposed to do, we will give ourselves a chance to win," head coach Zac Zedrick said.

The tournament will be hosted by Mid-American Conference (MAC) foe Northern Illinois University. The 'Hawks last played in this tournament in 2011, where they finished 13th out of 16 teams. The tournament will be played at the Rich Harvest Farms course, the site of the 2012 MAC Championship.

The course is familiar to seniors Mark MacDonald and Austin Kelly as well as junior Scott Cahill. All three played in the MAC Championship last year. Sophomore Luke Shaughnessy played one round at the championship last season.

MacDonald placed the highest of the three as he tied for 22nd overall. Cahill tied for 29th and Kelly placed 38th overall.

The work ethic of the Red and White has Zedrick believing the team can find success this year.

"If you're going about (practice) the right way at home like we are, you expect it to carry on," Zedrick said.

Zedrick mentioned that Cahill and freshman Greg Conrad would be excited for this weekend's tournament because they have both lived in the Chicago area.

Cahill does not exactly have expectations for himself as far as scoring, but he plans to evaluate where he stands after the first tournament.

"We've been excited as a team, the first tournament is something we've all been looking forward to," Cahill said. "I'm looking to measure how I have grown as a player; it's tough to make conclusions (about expectations) for the first tournament."

Cahill is also focusing on how his role might change after a sophomore year where he finished third on the team in round average last season and tied the lowest overall individual round.

Cahill said he was ready for the trip with his teammates.

"We're all anxious to be getting back on the road and travelling as a team," Cahill said.

Zedrick said he believes Kelly, MacDonald, Cahill and Shaughnessy will lead the way for the RedHawks this season, but said he believes the RedHawks have an all-around talented roster this year.

"I think we've got a deep team," Zedrick said. "I'm not relying on anyone person to carry us."