MU introduces Treadwell as head coach

Don Treadwell, a former wide receiver at Miami, was introduced as head coach Jan. 10.

Michael Solomon, Sports Editor

Don Treadwell, a former wide receiver at Miami, was introduced as head coach Jan. 10. (Contributed Photo)

The Miami University football team got their man. Their man is returning home.

Sixteen days after seeing their head coach depart for the University of Pittsburgh, the Athletic Department selected former Miami wide receiver and current Michigan State University (MSU) offensive coordinator Don Treadwell to take over the reins of the football program.

Treadwell was formally introduced Jan. 10 at Miami's Voice of America Learning Center as the 34th head football coach at the school.

"Don Treadwell is a man of integrity, enthusiasm, passion, intellect, competitiveness, loyalty, love and honor, all the characteristics you expect from a Miami man," Miami Athletic Director Brad Bates said. "His pedigree, mentors, extensive responsibilities, cumulative experiences in five major conferences and values distinguish him as a great teacher."

Treadwell played wide receiver for Head Coach Tom Reed from 1978 to 1981, earning first team all Mid-American Conference (MAC) honors as a junior before captaining the team his senior season.

Treadwell still holds the record for average yards per catch at Miami at 21.1. He now joins a list of Miami graduates who became the head coach at their alma mater. Names on that list include Ara Parseghian, John Pont, Bo Schembechler, Bill Mallory, Tom Reed and Randy Walker.

"It's a dream come true to return to my alma mater, Miami, as head football coach," Treadwell said. "Miami has always held a special place in my heart, and the opportunity to be a part of the Cradle of Coaches is a privilege as well as a responsibility." 

Treadwell's experiences include coaching a Football Championship Subdivision championship team as well worked in the MAC, Big East, Pac-10, Big Ten and Atlantic Coast conferences.

As the offensive coordinator for MSU this past season, Treadwell saw his team put up elite numbers on offense. The Spartans were one of two teams in the Big Ten to be in the top five in the conference in rushing, passing, scoring and total offense.

"Our students indicated they wanted a great teacher with extensive knowledge of the game," Bates said. "Don has coached all facets of the offense, including receivers, running backs, quarterbacks, coordinating the passing game and coordinating the offense."

The 16-day search for a new head coach was led by the leadership council, which looked for candidates with the experience and personality to lead the RedHawks' program.

"We proceeded to do our homework, to identify the perfect fit for the profile our students helped us define," Bates said. "For our research, we danced around the holidays, bowls and NFL games, ultimately visiting with, get this, 24 athletic directors, four conference commissioners, three executive directors, 31 Football Bowl Subdivision head coaches, five NFL coaches, 12 Miami alums who are leaders in the industry, 117 assistant coaches and many members of our Cradle of Coaches, and we came down to one extraordinary man."