MU holds only 'love' for Jirouskova

From left to right
From left to right

Stephen McCardell

From left to right

When senior varsity tennis player Linda Jirouskova graduated from high school four years ago in her hometown of Milevsko, Czech Republic, she wanted to try something new.

For many people, trying something new means experimenting with a new haircut, eating at a new restaurant or watching a television show that they have never seen before.

Jirouskova decided to pack her bags and travel to the United States.

Jirouskova had been offered a handful of scholarships to come play tennis and study in the United States. With advice from coaches and family, she decided that Miami University was the best fit for her.

When Jirouskova originally decided to come to the United States, it was her plan to come study for just one year.

"I originally was just coming for one year for the experience and to learn English," Jirouskova said. "But I liked it so much that I decided to stay."

When Jirouskova decided to stay at Miami for all four years after enjoying her first year in the United States, she admitted that it was very difficult at first.

"I cried every night my first week here," Jirouskova said. "I had to figure out a lot of things on my own."

While Jirouskova had to figure out many things on her own, being a member of the tennis team helped ease the transition. Jirouskova specifically found former Head Coach Ray Reppert and current Head Coach Ricardo Rosas extremely helpful with acclimating her to a completely new life.

"I think it was a culture shock when she first arrived here," Rosas said. "She was not fluent in English so it made things more difficult. She adapted herself though. She had a lot of people helping her out. The tennis team was her support group."

While the tennis team may have been Jirouskova's support group, the team was looking forward to her supporting the success of the Miami tennis program. When Rosas discovered that Jirouskova would be playing for Miami he was ecstatic.

"I was really excited," Rosas said. "International players tend not to take anything for granted. She was here on a full scholarship and was very grateful for the opportunity. She always put in the extra work."

In Jirouskova's second year at Miami, she received another form of support when junior Leda Pesatova, also from the Czech Republic, transferred from Hampton University to Miami.

While Pesatova and Jirouskova both admitted that they have different personalities, they also both said it was nice to have someone with similar experiences.

"I think it helped (Pesatova) because she was in the same position as me," Jirouskova said. "It is nice to have someone to speak Czech with every once in a while."

While the past four years have been a unique learning experience for Jirouskova, her coaches and teammates are the first to admit that Jirouskova has taught them a lot.

"I have learned a lot from her," said senior teammate Katrina Lomidze. "She was always a good student. She was always on track, and she was always a good motivator. I love being on the court next to her. She has great leadership skills and I know she will be successful."

Although Jirouskova's time here at Miami as a student-athlete is coming to an end, it has been an experience for her and all of those who are close to her will not soon forget.

"My friends that I have made here, there are a few that I will never forget," Jirouskova said.

While Jirouskova's future plans are still undecided, she is looking forward to graduation when her parents will visit the United States for the first time in their life.

"It should be interesting because they don't speak any English," Jirouskova said.