MU encourages renters insurance

Residence halls across campus, including Hamilton Hall pictured above, have exposed pipes.

Lexi Baltazar

Living in a residence hall during first-year is a rite of passage. Most Miami University students have spent at least one year living in some of the oldest buildings that still exist on campus, but the age of some of these halls is really starting to show.

Many students may not know if a situation like a burst pipe occurs, Miami is not held liable for any damages.

This is why Miami's housing Web site encourages students to purchase renters or dormitory insurance, according to Larry Fink, assistant vice president of housing and auxiliaries.

"I can't even think of the last time we heard of a student's property being damaged by something caused by the building," Fink said. "It has definitely happened, but the occurrences are few and far between. More than likely, if something does happen, it is usually an act of nature, like if a pipe freezes because of sub-zero temperatures."

Although damages may not occur very often, older issues like the pipes still bring grief to some students.

Michelle Sandroff is a sophomore who lives in MacCracken Hall.

"I'm on a top bunk and my pillow is underneath an exposed pipe that gets really hot when the building's heat turns on," Sandroff said. "It can be distracting and frustrating at times."

While Miami does not offer this renters' insurance, most insurance companies offer some sort of renters insurance designed specifically for college students living in dorms.

Parents and students often pass on this option because damaged or stolen items can usually be claimed under the parent or guardian's homeowner's insurance.

Paul Allen, director of business services, said for those that this does not apply to, Miami highly encourages separate insurance.

Allen explained if one was determined to get the school to pay up, there is also the option of filing a claim with the Ohio Court of Claims. If your property is damaged, and you feel the school is to blame, you can file a claim explaining what happened and how much financial compensation you are requesting.

"Being a state agency, Miami can't just buy you something new if your property is damaged," Allen said. "The university is only liable for damages that are assessed by the courts. Only they can order us to pay anybody anything."

Once the claim goes to the courts, it can take anywhere from four to six weeks for a decision to be made. During the claim evaluation period, the school is notified of the complaint and then explains the situation from its perspective, according to Allen.

Allen said if the courts reject the claim, the student is liable for damage costs. If the courts accept the claim, Miami is held liable for the claim amount.

The university is currently working on a long-range housing plan that will hopefully be completed by the end of next semester. It will outline plans for renovations and possible new building constructions, according to Fink.